Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new road bike and would love some advice

Options
  • 28-07-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am buying a new bike under the bike to work scheme and have done some research but am unsure which to buy.

I want a road bike to train on to build on my existing aerobic fitness and currently have no intention of racing,

The best I have found in the shops around me is the Giant Defy 2 and online I have found two other bikes,

A Felt z85 105 2014 and Cinelli experience 105 2014 from Wiggle (I can't like as I don't have enough posts!)

I would love to get some opinions on the bikes and other potential bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brianmch

bump

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you confirmed with your employer that they will allow you buy from a non bricks'n'mortar shop?
    i know of some employers who stipulate no online shops, or shops abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

They're all much the same as each other. For this I would buy from a bricks and mortar shop as you can try out the bike before you buy it. Personally I would go for the felt, lovely looking bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

You won't go wrong with either the Felt or Giant, I've no experience with the Cinelli but I'm sure if wiggle are behind them they are OK too.

In general as long as you stick to mainstream bike brands at any particular price point there won't be much difference, everything is built to a budget and while the emphasis may vary from brand to brand the total effect is pretty similar.

If you want absolutely the best value for your money than it's hard to pass Canyon or Rose, but they are exclusively online so you need to be very sure of your sizing.

If you are really inexperienced with bikes then you are probably looking for a combination of a decent bike and a good LBS, take a little tour around, see what sort of a deal you can get and if you don't like the shop, keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also looking at the felt and defy 2. Starting a new job so can get it in bike to work. Looking at 15km each way and hopefully some longer spins at the weekend.

Would it be worthwhile holding off for the 2015 models. And is there any reason to pick a felt 85 over a defy2

• Advertisement
Advertisement