Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 4 Puncture Problem

Options
  • 28-07-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I recently bought a defy 4 off donedeal (just a starter) and I really love being out on the bike, nothing beats it

I am however on the verge cutting the bike into pieces because every time give or take that I go out I get a puncture.

I mean it's ridiculous amount of times like, I have yet to get 3 cycles without a puncture.

I replaced the tyres with puncture protect tyres, replaced the cheap tubes with Michelin tubes.

Took it for a handy 30km friday, no problem at all, went to get the bike this evening and flat as a pancake...

I think the rim is the problem but it seems perfect, spokes are perfect..

Has anybody experienced anything like this? I wouldn't be big up on the bikes so need some help and info

Cheers guys
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

What pressure are you putting in your tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RenegadeDisco

My guess is that you haven't taken out the piece of glass etc from the actual tyre when you fix the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I've had periods like this eg 5 punctures in a week including 2 in one commute (on different wheels).

Some simple things to do (you prob already know these). Make sure you identify where each puncture is in the tube and check the tyres carefully to find the cause of the puncture. I often find tiny bits of glass lodged in the tyre - these can cause repeated punctures. Useful tip is to make sure the tyre logo is lined up with valve. It makes it easy to find the spot of the tyre corresponding to the hole in the tube.

Also make sure you are fitting the tube correctly. It's easy to get pinch flats if the tube gets pinched between tyre and rim. Also patches can be points of weakness for high pressure road tires.

Finally you will get quicker at fixing punctures so it won't be a disaster when you do puncture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I have defy 4 too, the tyres that came with it were rubbish. Punctures every week, just like you. I bought gatorskin tyres (continental) and havent had a puncture since. I think I forget how to change a tube now, honestly. Also, dont patch tubes, throw away and replace there is too much pressure on the patches they kept blowing out on me. In short, get a set of gatorskins, great tyres, and keep them at 100 psi approx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Check the rim tape isn't damaged around the spoke holes in the rims, the edges of the holes are very sharp and the tube will herniate into them if the rim tape isn't seated correctly or is damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

bmwguy wrote: »
    Also, dont patch tubes, throw away and replace there is too much pressure on the patches

I would disagree with this. A quality tube patched correctly with good patches (Rema TipTop FTW) is as good as new, there is no need to throw a tube away once punctured, unless it cannot be patched, e.g valve coming out from tube, very large split in the tube. And a small repair kit with patches is enough to fix about ten punctures and takes up a lot less space than ten tubes in case you are having a really bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

deltamerc wrote: »
    I am however on the verge cutting the bike into pieces because every time give or take that I go out I get a puncture.
    Took it for a handy 30km friday, no problem at all, went to get the bike this evening and flat as a pancake...
    I think the rim is the problem but it seems perfect, spokes are perfect..

Many questions:

Tell us more about the punctures; are they in the same place every time? What do they look like (a small pin prick hole, a graze, two cuts, big or small)?

Can you tell if it is on the outside, inside or side of the tube, lay the tube down flat as if it is in the tyre, is it on the same side as the valve or the opposite side? Inside or side would suggest rim, outside would suggest something came in through the tyre.

Are you putting the tube in correctly? After you put it in, are you sure that the tube is not twisted and that it is not caught between the tyre and rim?

How are you pumping the tyres? What pressure do you use? Do you screw the valve closed after pumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Garzard

Had a similar issue the other day while patching up my Trek 3500's rear tube from a nail puncture. There were two holes to start with and over the next hour about 5 more showed up [after thoroughly checking it and pumping it up again to normal pressure after each patch-up]. Couldn't find anything inside the tyre to explain it so I think the tube must've developed a weak spot around previous punctures. Eventually just decided it wasn't worth repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭deltamerc

Lads thanks for the replies,

I put in 110 psi , yes I screw the valve shut each time. I checked the tyres for glass, splinters and it's clean as a whistle.

It's only happening on the back wheel which I forgot to mention. Heart is broke from it,

After buying the bike I got my 1st puncture.. grand says I that's part of cycling I said. So I bought 4 tubes at €7 each (I was told replace them not repair them). 2 of them bust along the seam of the tube and 1 was like a snake bite and another was on a clear weak point on the tube, it was like a weak point around the tube and it gave way.

Thinkin its the rim for some reason, so far iv had 4 tyres and 6 tubes put on it, all on the back!!!

Thanks lad's yer great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

1301539547-fat-guy.jpg

Sorry

• Advertisement

Sound ;)

So to follow up, I located the hole in the tube, which was in contact with the rim tape and not the tyre/road ???

Rim tape cleaned down and nothing suspicious found, rim seems ok

Any suggestions?

So to follow up, I located the hole in the tube, which was in contact with the rim tape and not the tyre/road ???

Rim tape cleaned down and nothing suspicious found, rim seems ok

Any suggestions?

New rimtape. It may look fine when the tyres off, but under 80-110psi its likely herniating into the spoke hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Sounds like you need a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Deagol

Not sure what the wheelset is on that bike, but perhaps might be cheaper to replace the rear wheel than keep paying out for tyres / tubes :)

Or CCTV on the mrs, perhaps she doesn't like you disappearing for cycles :D

Deagol wrote: »
    Not sure what the wheelset is on that bike, but perhaps might be cheaper to replace the rear wheel than keep paying out for tyres / tubes :)

Or CCTV on the mrs, perhaps she doesn't like you disappearing for cycles :D
    €5 for rimtape to sort the punctures, €5 for ductape to sort the missus

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

apart from the punctures hows the bike, looking on changing from a hybrid and been looking at the defy4..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's only happening on the back wheel which I forgot to mention.
    have you tried swapping the tyres around?

The bike itself is a train , im delighted with it to be honest just the feckin punctures... ya I may get new rim tape , and as for herself and the duck tape... lets say she could use it on my mouth for the amount of cursin im doin of late!!!

In relation to swappin the wheels You may laugh at me for this but is it a major job , still green enough at it...

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you popping the tube valve into the tyre before pumping?

If not it can cause the tyre rim to snag the tube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...In relation to swappin the wheels You may laugh at me for this but is it a major job , still green enough....
    Magicbastarder said to swap the tyres - not the wheels. If the punctures continue on the rear after swapping, then it would indicate a problem with the wheel. If however the punctures switch to the front, it will indicate a tyre problem.

What tyres are you using?

I bought new tyre's for the bike after the problem started, I think its the rim but cant find anything out of place....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just replace the rim tape. You have paid out for new tubes and tyres already, what is the harm in paying 5 euro for rim tape. Once you have the old rim tape off, run your finger slowly along the tops of the spokes and see if there are any sharp edges.

Are you slightly pumping the tubes as you fit the tyres to the rim? If you dont do this, you could be pinching the tube which weakens it and will cause it to pop while or after riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I have a Defy 2 - great bike but absolutely broke my heart with punctures on my daily 45km commute, was getting 3 punctures per day sometimes. So I changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 25 and not a puncture since then, over 4000kms ago. However, they are a very heavy tyre that do not handle great. I have used them on 140km sportives and struggle up the mountains on them. So, they are great for commuting (peace of mind) but rubbish for sportives, etc as they are far too heavy.

I am still not sure if I will get them again, but I am also afraid to change in case I get punctures again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

bmwguy wrote: »
    I have defy 4 too, the tyres that came with it were rubbish. Punctures every week, just like you. I bought gatorskin tyres (continental) and havent had a puncture since. I think I forget how to change a tube now, honestly. Also, dont patch tubes, throw away and replace there is too much pressure on the patches they kept blowing out on me. In short, get a set of gatorskins, great tyres, and keep them at 100 psi approx

I have a Defy 2 also.I only had one puncture in 1500k on the stock tyres and tubes and that was on a freshly tared n chipped road, when the tyres were well worn down. Roads I'm normally on are not great.Pressure was always around the 115psi mark. Have gators on now and so far no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

logik wrote: »
    Just replace the rim tape. You have paid out for new tubes and tyres already, what is the harm in paying 5 euro for rim tape. Once you have the old rim tape off, run your finger slowly along the tops of the spokes and see if there are any sharp edges.

Are you slightly pumping the tubes as you fit the tyres to the rim? If you dont do this, you could be pinching the tube which weakens it and will cause it to pop while or after riding.

Agreed also trying tyre on front would eliminate one reason are you using valve ring(can't think of proper name) to stop valve rubbing against rim.
    Do you know anybody you could borrow wheel from to check if it is wheel before you spend more money.
    Sounds weird and can appreciate your upset..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Sorry for hi jacking the tread lads, But over the weekend I managed to get a big dirty screw into my tubeless mtb tyre(Schwalbe) this is the first time that I ever had a bike running with no tubes,I was wondering if the tyre can be fixed like a car tyre by putting a rubber strip in to the hole or is it a case of buying a new tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

I bought 4 tubes at €7 each
    seany15 wrote: »

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sorry for hi jacking the tread lads, But over the weekend I managed to get a big dirty screw into my tubeless mtb tyre(Schwalbe) this is the first time that I ever had a bike running with no tubes,I was wondering if the tyre can be fixed like a car tyre by putting a rubber strip in to the hole or is it a case of buying a new tyre.

You should be able to get it repaired or do it yourself. You can get repair kits. Do you use anything inside your tyres? I use Stans sealant in mine and I've seen it work a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

You should be able to get it repaired or do it yourself. You can get repair kits. Do you use anything inside your tyres? I use Stans sealant in mine and I've seen it work a few times

Managed to get it fixed plus someone I know who knows more about bikes these days mentioned the stans sealant.

Advertisement