Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs for during the ceremony

Options
  • 28-07-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions for songs for during the ceremony.

It you have a specific song for a specific time during the wedding ceremony that would be great.

Not looking for hymns.

Looking at:
    Metallica - Nothing Else Matters during communion (no drums just vocalist with piano/harp)
    John Legend - All of Me during the Signing of the Register

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Looking for suggestions for songs for during the ceremony.

It you have a specific song for a specific time during the wedding ceremony that would be great.

Not looking for hymns.

Looking at:
    Metallica - Nothing Else Matters during communion (no drums just vocalist with piano/harp)
    John Legend - All of Me during the Signing of the Register

I take it from the mention of communion that you are having a catholic mass in a Catholic church.
    If so, you need to speak to the priest about music, because the Church have very strict guidelines about music, and I don't know if Metallica, as good as they are, will make the cut.
    Remember, if you are using the Church premises for your wedding , then they are perfectly entitled to set whatever conditions they want, and you entitled , as with every service you avail off, to take your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yeah. Catholic mass, Catholic Church.
    We've a few hymns already lined up so we don't need anymore.
    Was just hoping to hear a suggestion or two from people as picking 6-7 songs is proving tough

Yeah. Catholic mass, Catholic Church.
    We've a few hymns already lined up so we don't need anymore.
    Was just hoping to hear a suggestion or two from people as picking 6-7 songs is proving tough

Thing is, I'll be really surprised if the priest allows you to have ANY song that's not a hymn in the Church.
    Unless you have sorted it out with him already, have you?

Meeting him Wednesday

Meeting him Wednesday

When's the big day?

• Advertisement

New Year's Eve this year.

I'm off to bed. Be sure and let us know how you get on with the priest.
    I bet he's expecting some Christmas carols.
    I could be wrong though.
    Its very romantic. Best of luck to you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We were talking to one of the priests where we will be getting married and unless I took him up wrong, before and after the ceremony itself you can have your own music but during the ceremony/mass itself, religious songs/hymns have to be used. Maybe it differs by church.

We were talking to one of the priests where we will be getting married and unless I took him up wrong, before and after the ceremony itself you can have your own music but during the ceremony/mass itself, religious songs/hymns have to be used. Maybe it differs by church.

The OP is asking to have Metallica during Communion which is most certainly during the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

'make me a channel for your Piece"???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm not religious at all but I find non religious songs really jarring at a church wedding. I don't think communion is the time and place for instrumental versions, however nice, of rock classics.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    The OP is asking to have Metallica during Communion which is most certainly during the ceremony.

I'm not "asking" for it.
    It was a pre conceived notion.

I'm new to this wedding stuff.

We met with our musicians today, very experienced with weddings and they said that music during the ceremony must be liturgical in nature but before and after we can play what we like.

Meeting priest tomorrow

I'm not "asking" for it.
    It was a pre conceived notion.

I'm new to this wedding stuff.

We met with our musicians today, very experienced with weddings and they said that music during the ceremony must be liturgical in nature but before and after we can play what we like.

Meeting priest tomorrow
    Well I hope you get "Nothing else matters " when your walking back down the aisle as a married couple. I think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

As long as your keep the sacred parts of the mass with sacred music OP then there shouldn't be a problem. All members of the clergy are obliged to say "No secular songs in my church!" but as long as you don't pick Nicky Minaj or something else outrageous, there is a little bit of wiggle room there.

As a church musician, the majority of songs that I sing are now secular. It wasn't always like that but hey-roll with the times. From my experience I would offer the following advice:

Everything in bold should really be kept with liturgical music, everything else there's room for compromise. If your priest is being exceptionally strict then go with some instrumentals of your favourite songs ;)

Entrance

Lighting of Individual Candles

Psalm

Gospel Acclamation

Lighting of Unity Candle

Offertory Procession

Ar nAthair

Sign of Peace

Communion (Bit of leeway here. If you have one nice hymn, you can usually couple it with something secular. I know you mentioned a harpist so this wouldn't be as intrusive as the original on a recording)

Signing of Register

Recessional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

SongBird by Eva Cassidy for Entrance or Offertory.

One Day like This by Elbow for Communion or Recession.

Amazing Grace for Peace, Psalm or Offertory.

To Make you Feel My Love for Entrance

Feels like Home for Entrance, Recession or Communion.

The Prayer by Yolanda Adams for Communion, Peace or Offertory

Clouds veil for psalm or Peace

Signed Sealed delivered by Stevie W for recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think that priests should not be having the last say in a persons choice of songs, after all it is not his day, it is theirs,
    some songs would be definately out of bounds, but of have all hymns is a bit boring to be truthful, i would rather have a bit of soul in the song,
    our pp thinks he should have the last word, but he is not doing the ceremony for nothing so he who pays should have the last say

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Good luck with your priest.
    We just sent our list to our priest, and even though our communion songs are instrumental, traditional Irish tunes, he sent them back and said they must be hymns, so as far as I can gather, doing anything outside the norm during the ceremony is a no no. I thought communion was the strictest, but perhaps every bit is.

At our pre-marriage course, they said that strictly it is up to the priest (or priests if you one is marrying you and you are using the church of another), but that the guidelines they get are to "respect the dignity of the occasion" and this can be interpreted differently by different priests.

goat2 wrote: »
    i think that priests should not be having the last say in a persons choice of songs, after all it is not his day, it is theirs,
    some songs would be definately out of bounds, but of have all hymns is a bit boring to be truthful, i would rather have a bit of soul in the song,
    our pp thinks he should have the last word, but he is not doing the ceremony for nothing so he who pays should have the last say

Are you sure you want a Catholic ceremony? Should you not be having a civil ceremony elsewhere if you're not happy to play by the rules?

While I don't agree with all the rules and find some irritating, having chosen a Catholic wedding ceremony, I'll just roll with them and go with the flow. It's not up to us to change or dictate rules, just cos "we're paying". Rules apply to civil ceremonies too, to receptions in hotels, to everything in life. Just deal with it or spend your money elsewhere!!

priests had too much say in past in too much of our lives, would not want to go back to that, and would rather they had let us with better memories, i dont have good memories,
    think they should let the couple have their few songs and enjoy their day,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I dont think they can tell you what to play during communion , as long as it's respectful and not "smack my bitch up" of course. But I know you can have a Catholic wedding and not even have communion as part of the mass, like you can just have a normal mass without the gifts or communion. It's much quicker.

• Advertisement

priests had too much say in past in too much of our lives, would not want to go back to that, and would rather they had let us with better memories, i dont have good memories,

Why not have a civil ceremony then?

yes if i were to marry i would have a civil cermony,
    i am not an unreligious person but i just think we should have full control over our own decisions, and people pay dear enough that they should have the right to decide,

Its your day, but its his church, so his rules.
    If your asking to use the priests property then you have to accept his conditions. Why don't you go and get married somewhere they'll let you have whatever you want?

If you don't want yo go "back to that" then why have you "gone back" to the church to get married!? You could have gone anywhere?

Its your day, but its his church, so his rules.
    If your asking to use the priests property then you have to accept his conditions. Why don't you go and get married somewhere they'll let you have whatever you want?

i thought it was gods house and the peoples place of worship, we paid for it,
    not his property

emzolita wrote: »

Possibly 2 of these are liturgical, the rest are not. Would be perfectly acceptable at a civil ceremony though.

i thought it was gods house and the peoples place of worship, we paid for it,
    not his property

Its the property of the Catholic Church. The Catholic brethren paid for it over many years. The Catholic church are allowed to set whatever rules they like. If you don't like the conditions the priests set, you should find s venue and a celebrant that will accommodate your preferences.
    Why do you want to get a Catholic marriage if you don't like the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Possibly 2 of these are liturgical, the rest are not. Would be perfectly acceptable at a civil ceremony though.

The OP said specifically he/she was NOT looking for hymns. :confused:

All of these are regularly sung and accepted by priests/canons/bishops throughout various parishes all over the country.

OP-if you want to PM me I can send you a link to my own repertoire of songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

emzolita wrote: »

There's no way some of those would be allowed in my church. Obviously they are all fine for entrance/signing of register or recessional but no way could you put songbird at offertory or feels like home at communion?

To be honest there is gorgeous church music out there of all styles, some of the music from the last thirty years is very popular in style so in my opinion if you are picking a church ceremony you should be choosing appropriate music. If you don't want to, then perhaps you shouldn't be having a church ceremony.

Here's some more modern pieces I like for example
    In the Calm
    Only in God
    Set your hearts
    Sing of a Lady

• Advertisement

AoifeCork wrote: »
    The OP said specifically he/she was NOT looking for hymns. :confused:

All of these are regularly sung and accepted by priests/canons/bishops throughout various parishes all over the country.

OP-if you want to PM me I can send you a link to my own repertoire of songs.

Apart from 2, I can assure you these would be vetoed in our local large very popular Cathedral.

Advertisement