Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist on M11

Options
  • 28-07-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭

Driving home on the M11 and came across a cyclist heading south just after the exit for Shankhill.

Can't believe that people take a chance cycling on a hard shoulder next to cars doing 120kph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Didn't realise the shift from N11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I passed a cyclist on the M18 on Saturday, reported it to the gards for his own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Not that I would ever condone such behavior but is there much of a difference between cycling on a road with NO hard shoulder with cars traveling @ 100 kph and on the hard shoulder of the motorway with cars @ 120 kph ?

(other than the obvious fact that one is illegal ….)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Seen it a couple of times between Naas North and Naas South where the N7 becomes the M7

Should introduce rules of the road for cyclists / motorists in schools, if they don't already have ?it. How you can cycle on the outside of the hard shoulder with cars going by at 120 Kph ill never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Seen a few on the M11 in the space of a few KM one day. Bell-ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rackstar wrote: »
    How you can cycle on the outside of the hard shoulder with cars going by at 120 Kph ill never know.
    I periodically cycle from Dublin to south Wexford on the hard shoulder of the N11. It feels very smooth and safe despite vehicles passing at over 100kph.

The problem on motorways is more often the junctions, although there's always the risk of a freak accident where someone pulls on to the hard shoulder without looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Not that I would ever condone such behavior but is there much of a difference between cycling on a road with NO hard shoulder with cars traveling @ 100 kph and on the hard shoulder of the motorway with cars @ 120 kph ?

There's a huge difference, the main one being all motorists should be aware of slower moving vehicles/pedestrians/cyclists on national roads, cyclists are really the last thing you'd expect on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

WillyFXP wrote: »
    There's a huge difference, the main one being all motorists should be aware of slower moving vehicles/pedestrians/cyclists on national roads, cyclists are really the last thing you'd expect on a motorway.

My point is that the effect on the cyclist is pretty much the same @ 100 / 120 kph. Not all motorists are as mindful as you on national routes.

Not all motorists are as mindful as you on national routes.
    They shouldn't be driving then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I was cycling out to Kilmacanogue for a bike fit Friday evening, forgot that the N11 became the M11 for a while, before reverting to the N11 again (thereafter to go back to the M11 etc etc).

Anyway I consequentially had to come off at Shankhill where the motorway starts. Made my way down a pleasant route towards Bray presuming I'd have to go to the far side of the town and back on to the N11 at the southern exit for Bray. I then saw a sign for the N11 at the first roundabout on the way into Bray, took it and followed the road and was led out about a mile later back onto the N11.

There followed without at doubt the most dangerous half a mile I've ever cycled - they're doing roadworks on the hard shoulder there and I was basically led onto the open road with no hard shoulder to go to and I was on the inside lane up against a temporary fence. Cars were obviously flying by at 100kph plus and there was traffic coming behind me when I came down the slip road in the first place so I was in trouble before I knew it and there was no way out of it. I was fcuking livid that whoever was behind those roadworks wouldn't put up a sign or something warning cyclists not to come down.

We have appalling signage in this country. And we treat cyclists appallingly. And the people who do this work clearly take no pride in their job and just don't give a fcuk. And I can easily see someone getting hurt as a result.

/ end rant

except to say that I actually think cycling on the hard shoulder of a motorway would be far less dangerous than a lot of roads we're left on, in fact I think they should incorporate cycle routes onto motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Raam wrote: »
    Seen a few on the M11 in the space of a few KM one day. Bell-ends.

Been one of those myself. :(:(

Got stuck on the M11 south trying to get to Kilmacanogue coming from de north soide. I thought it was the N11.

Glued myself to the left of the hard shoulder when I realised where I was. At each junction thought I was getting onto the N11 so ended up going about five km. Junctions were nerve wracking.

I'm sticking to step aside and enniskerry from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They shouldn't be driving then.

They are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

a148pro wrote: »
    We have appalling signage in this country. And we treat cyclists appallingly. And the people who do this work clearly take no pride in their job and just don't give a fcuk. And I can easily see someone getting hurt as a result.

Likewise no accountability and little in the way of consequence if somebody is killed or injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Statistically, the most dangerous place on the motorway, is .... the hard shoulder.

That's why in the UK they tell you; if you brake down on the Motorway, to, pullover to the shoulder & get out of the car & get behind the armco.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I was cycling out to Kilmacanogue for a bike fit Friday evening, forgot that the N11 became the M11 for a while, before reverting to the N11 again (thereafter to go back to the M11 etc etc).

Anyway I consequentially had to come off at Shankhill where the motorway starts. Made my way down a pleasant route towards Bray presuming I'd have to go to the far side of the town and back on to the N11 at the southern exit for Bray. I then saw a sign for the N11 at the first roundabout on the way into Bray, took it and followed the road and was led out about a mile later back onto the N11.

There followed without at doubt the most dangerous half a mile I've ever cycled - they're doing roadworks on the hard shoulder there and I was basically led onto the open road with no hard shoulder to go to and I was on the inside lane up against a temporary fence. Cars were obviously flying by at 100kph plus and there was traffic coming behind me when I came down the slip road in the first place so I was in trouble before I knew it and there was no way out of it. I was fcuking livid that whoever was behind those roadworks wouldn't put up a sign or something warning cyclists not to come down.

/ end rant

except to say that I actually think cycling on the hard shoulder of a motorway would be far less dangerous than a lot of roads we're left on, in fact I think they should incorporate cycle routes onto motorways
    That barrier blocking the hard shoulder has been up over a year now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

letape wrote: »
    Driving home on the M11 and came across a cyclist heading south just after the exit for Shankhill.

Can't believe that people take a chance cycling on a hard shoulder next to cars doing 120kph.

I see one lad regularly do it at the Cherrywood interchange. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I actually think cycling on the hard shoulder of a motorway would be far less dangerous than a lot of roads we're left on

I would far rather cycle 40km on the M4 hard shoulder west bound than the 20km of the N55 from Ballymahon to Athlone.

Worst cycling road I've ever been on, narrow and extremely busy with HGVs and cars passing in a constant stream at 100kph. Do not recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

J Madone wrote: »
    That barrier blocking the hard shoulder has been up over a year now!

And I've yet to see anybody do any bit of work there whatsoever!

The M11 is a joke for pedestrians, cyclists and, one day, motorists parked on the hard shoulder while picking blackberries on the verge. And, ironically, it's shorter to go through Shankill etc anyway.

On the way home from work recently (late rush hour) I spotted a car on the hard shoulder and somebody at the back of it. I thought they were trying to fix their puncture with a track pump (good luck with that) but they had actually stopped to help their mate who had got a puncture on his bike. I despair of that road but I can't report people anymore or I'll be deemed the local loon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I passed a cyclist on the M18 on Saturday, reported it to the gards for his own safety.

I passed by a group of three cycle tourist on the M18 on Thursday, crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Odd how you can cycle on a 2+2 road but not on a motorway. Obviously both are very very dangerous but the lack of a hard shoulder on a 2+2 would make it crazy dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My favorte bit of the N11 by Glen of the Downs and Kilmacanoge is where they have a nice downhill hard shoulder, then all of a sudden to help the people turing left, they put a traffic island occupying the hard sholder.
    Going Northbound here... (http://goo.gl/maps/z2Yf9)

This forces the cyclist coming downhill at 60kmh out into traffic going at 100kmh. Superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

letape wrote: »

In fairness, guy martin did 110 +mph on pushbike

Advertisement