Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term lease running out. No contact possible with Landlord?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

My 12-month lease expires in 11 days.

I have tried calling the landlord and leaving a voicemail.
    I have tried calling the letting agent and they say they haven't been able to reach the landlord.

If I am unable to make contact by the end of the lease, am I supposed to move out?

Am I entitled to stay on for some period of time on the same rental terms as before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Claim part 4 tenancy..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

What do you want to do?

I would like to stay on for another 12 months providing the rent is not increased too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

NSAman wrote: »
    Claim part 4 tenancy..

I just looked this up, it looks like I would have need to give at least a month's notice before the end of the lease to the landlord in order to claim part 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I just looked this up, it looks like I would have need to give at least a month's notice before the end of the lease to the landlord in order to claim part 4?

Yeah that's a weird stipulation. It only really comes into play if the agent/landlord has gone to efforts to advertise and interview new perspective tenants if they were under the assumption you were leaving. If you don't provide notice that you wish to stay under Part 4 you could be liable for those advertising costs.

On the flip side if you have no intention of wishing to move out you can simply let the lease expire and wait for the agent or LL to approach you to sign a new lease. If they don't you're under part 4 automatically anyway, if they do you get your wish for a new lease.

Really the only situation you lose out here is if the LL is under the impression you're leaving which I doubt is the case in this matter and the agent definitely would have been in contact by now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Eldarion wrote: »
    Yeah that's a weird stipulation. It only really comes into play if the agent/landlord has gone to efforts to advertise and interview new perspective tenants if they were under the assumption you were leaving. If you don't provide notice that you wish to stay under Part 4 you could be liable for those advertising costs.

On the flip side if you have no intention of wishing to move out you can simply let the lease expire and wait for the agent or LL to approach you to sign a new lease. If they don't you're under part 4 automatically anyway, if they do you get your wish for a new lease.

Really the only situation you lose out here is if the LL is under the impression you're leaving which I doubt is the case in this matter and the agent definitely would have been in contact by now.

Similarly, OP has made the best effort to contact the landlord so couldn't really be faulted for not giving notice of claiming part 4.

Advertisement