Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a job as an editor or an assistant editor?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello all. Please bare with me as I lay out my career plan.

So I'm a young guy, 21 years old, just finished a BA degree in Music Technology (and Philosophy). I will also be starting an MA degree in Philosophy and Literature in September. My dream is to be a writer-director of movies, but if I can't achieve that I'd like to be a writer or an editor (and an editor seems like the more secure job). I was wondering how difficult it is to get a job as an editor or assistant editor in today's economic climate and with my qualifications. Am I under qualified? My course in Music Technology involved a lot of sound editing but I soon learned that I actually prefer video editing, and I'm not sure this counts as enough experience. Anyway, the plan is to finish my MA degree and then try get a job as an editor while I practice my photography and writing in my spare time until I hopefully get my big break (through my writing or shortfilms or whatever).

I guess I'm just asking how credible this is for a career plan. It's probably a stupid question but that's why I'm hear, to get smacked with some harsh truths! :P

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I suggest you pay this page a visit:

http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2013/03/a-career-as-a-film-editor-the-strategy-and-tactics-for-success.html

Chris Jones is an English fimmaker and he did this presentation for AVID on how to become a video editor. Go to that page, sign up, and they'll send you the link.

It's a 40 minute video, but I think it's fantastic and quite motivating. I've watched it twice, even though I want to have a career as a cameraman more than an editor:)

Of course, he's talking about the best way to do it in England, but I think it all applies to Ireland as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Getting a permanent job as an editor these days is tough.

Best bet if you're coming in on the ground floor is to get a job as a runner or tape op in a post production house and work your way up.

It'd be a good idea to do some manner of editing course.

I've been an editor in Dublin for a while now, drop me a PM if you've any questions.

Advertisement