Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) and college course fees

Options
  • 28-07-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I can't seem to find full information on these questions.

But if I accept voluntary redundancy in the next couple of months, which is offering more than just statutory, will I be elligible to get a full time college course in engineering and the BTEA from September 2015?

Also, do I have to pay the college fees? (Which are big, like over €4k per annum).

Finally I heard you can take a full time job too, is this correct?

Thanks all for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I can't seem to find full information on these questions.

1 But if I accept voluntary redundancy in the next couple of months, which is offering more than just statutory, will I be elligible to get a full time college course in engineering and the BTEA from September 2015?

2 Also, do I have to pay the college fees? (Which are big, like over €4k per annum).

3 Finally I heard you can take a full time job too, is this correct?

Thanks all for the help.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

Q1 No - You have to have the qualifying 234 days of unemployment in Sept 2015
    Persons awarded Statutory Redundancy under Irish legislation may have immediate access to the BTEA scheme, (or within one year of the award of the Statutory Redundancy), provided an entitlement to a relevant Social Welfare payment is established immediately prior to commencement of an approved course of study. However, persons who opt for a voluntary redundancy scheme cannot have immediate access to BTEA.

Q2 You have to apply to SUSI for fees - Out of interest - why would your fees be over 4k?

Q3 No - They allow for part time work - not full time work
    It should be noted that BTEA participants may commence part-time employment without affecting their rate of BTEA payment but only after commencing BTEA, provided the work does not interfere with college attendance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TheKaiserChief

Q1 No - You have to have the qualifying 234 days of unemployment in Sept 2015

Q2 You have to apply to SUSI for fees - Out of interest - why would your fees be over 4k?

Q3 No - They allow for part time work - not full time work

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the help : )

1. So if I take voluntary redundancy from October 2014 and am unemployed, do I have to be a minimum of 9 months on social welfare?

Also, if I qualify for the BTEA, is it a 52 week paid thing for the duration of the course (4 years), or is it just paid from the college term (say September to May of each year)?

2. Sorry I got my fees mixed up. I was looking at engineering, and the course fees per EU student are actually around €7,500 per year. That's in NUIG.

3. So I can get a part-time job and it not affect my BTEA, great : )

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the help : )

1. So if I take voluntary redundancy from October 2014 and am unemployed, do I have to be a minimum of 9 months on social welfare?

Also, if I qualify for the BTEA, is it a 52 week paid thing for the duration of the course (4 years), or is it just paid from the college term (say September to May of each year)?

2. Sorry I got my fees mixed up. I was looking at engineering, and the course fees per EU student are actually around €7,500 per year. That's in NUIG.

3. So I can get a part-time job and it not affect my BTEA, great : )

1 Yes - see 1.9 Qualifying Conditions

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

BTEA is paid from September to May and you can claim jobseekers or work the Summer months

2 - Sorry I am confused - do you already have a third level degree?

3 See 1.16.3 Revised Decision

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TheKaiserChief

1 Yes - see 1.9 Qualifying Conditions

BTEA is paid from September to May and you can claim jobseekers or work the Summer months

2 - Sorry I am confused - do you already have a third level degree?

3 See 1.16.3 Revised Decision

Thanks again : )

1. I understand that now.

2. No I don't have any qualification at all. I'd be starting college as an undergraduate.

Thanks again : )

1. I understand that now.

2. No I don't have any qualification at all. I'd be starting college as an undergraduate.

Ok to explain fees

There are THREE fee components

1 Tuition fees - Normally once a person is eligible these are free
    2 Student contribution - I think this is €3000 from 2015 - You would apply to SUSI for a grant to cover this
    3 Student levy - This is the fee a College levies on its students to pay for certain facilities e.g. a gym - It is usually mandatory and about roughly €200

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html

So hopefully SUSI would give you a grant to pay the Student contribution fee and the only fee you would pay would be the NUIG levy

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement