Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict are they for accommodation on campus?

Options
  • 28-07-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was just wondering how strict the guards/wardens (?) are on campus in terms of having friends stay over? If you do have to register them, is there a limit on how often you can do it? I didn't live in halls but from what I heard it was easy enough, I presume it would be harder on campus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

I lived on campus last year, and yes, they are as strict at they say. Campus is a bit different from halls considering it's right in the city centre, where there are a lot of dodgy characters, and it's a heritage site, not to mention the amount of valuable equipment etc on site.

If your guest is not signed in before midnight, they won't get past front gate security. And the other entrances are mostly locked after that time too. If you have someone staying and both of you are home before midnight, however, nobody is going to know they are there. But that's not much fun if you're having someone to stay.

Also, if you want more than one guest, they normally don't mind but you have to write to the accommodation office, who will forward your request to the junior dean and issue you with a letter of permission, which you then have to show to the security staff at front gate when you come home, as well as having the guests signed in. So you would need to leave a minimum of two or three days notice to make sure you have all of that sorted beforehand.

If you have one guest who wants to stay for more than one night this is normally okay as they don't look at the sign in book that closely, but if they plan on staying for weeks at a time that might raise a few eyebrows, so best to get permission from the junior dean for that too.

The lack of freedom in this regard is one of the main reasons why I didn't apply for campus again this year. Location was great, but there is significantly less freedom (and space!) than living in private accommodation, which is what I'm doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 husinark

Siobhan6 wrote: »
    If you have one guest who wants to stay for more than one night this is normally okay as they don't look at the sign in book that closely, but if they plan on staying for weeks at a time that might raise a few eyebrows, so best to get permission from the junior dean for that too.

Thanks very much for your response but I'm just wondering how they would react to having say one or two people staying over once a week after a night out assuming they're signed in? I mean it wouldn't be every week but what do they think about people staying on a fairly regular basis?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

husinark wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your response but I'm just wondering how they would react to having say one or two people staying over once a week after a night out assuming they're signed in? I mean it wouldn't be every week but what do they think about people staying on a fairly regular basis?

Thanks again

They don't care, that's not a problem at all. The only times that will be restricted is around Christmas and exams where they forbid guests.

Also you can sign in guests in advance: your guests don't have to be with you when you put down the names in the book. They'll need to be with you when returning to campus after midnight, but it's useful if you're planning to meet them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I always used to sign in a gender neutral name such as Pat (Patricia/Patrick) Murphy if I felt there was a chance of a friend wanting to kip for the night (but not knowing which one) or else getting lucky.

Just a hint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

The first initial and last name will do. Aoife Byrd aka A. Byrd was a frequent name on the book in my time in rooms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement