Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Conversion to 1x Speed

Options
  • 28-07-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Planning on converting my Giant Talon into a 1x9 (currently 3x9) speed, or possible 1x10.

First thing I need to do is buy a new 1x speed chain ring, and chain guide/bash guard.

So, what chain ring to buy? Presumably I'll want something like a 32t as that's the one I use mostly on my current setup. But what about the bolt size? I have no idea how to find that out on my current bike.

Sometime down the road I want to upgrade my rear derailleur. I read online that a short/med cage is the best to keep the chain from bouncing and also the cage won't smash off rocks then. So thinking of upgrading to a 10 speed on the rear, as the only ones with a clutch roller are 10 speed from SRAM and Shimano... I like the sound of the feature. I think with that and chainguide system upfront my chain will be bullet proof. Currently it slaps around an awful lot and falls off the front chainring a lot.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of conversion? Think I'll just buy all the parts and get my LBS to install... but just want to get the right parts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You should go to a 1x10, with an 11-36 on the back, or get one of the expander sprockets which will give you a 40t gear at the back for steep climbs.

Get a narrow/wide chainring, and a shimano Slx shadow plus clutch rear mech, no need for a chain guide...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thanks, was pretty much what I was thinking, or else a type 2 SRAM.

Why do you reckon no front chain guide? Was thinking something like this (as I need a bash guard anyway)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/octane-one-evo-bash-chain-guide-2014/rp-prod110390

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

.ak wrote: »
    Thanks, was pretty much what I was thinking, or else a type 2 SRAM.

Why do you reckon no front chain guide? Was thinking something like this (as I need a bash guard anyway)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/octane-one-evo-bash-chain-guide-2014/rp-prod110390

Shimano is better imo...

I have a clutch mech and Narrow/wide chainring and the chain has not dropped once, so you don't need the chainguide... Never found use for a bash-guard either...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I suppose.. I found my current front chainrings clip rocks now and again but once I move down to a 32t chainring it should give me more space.

Advertisement