Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge Roth 2015

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Did anyone get in to this early today ?? I got to enter my details and send it but got the "all places are allocted" message . This was after 45 secs , it couldnt have sold out that fast ...could it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Did anyone get in to this early today ?? I got to enter my details and send it but got the "all places are allocted" message . This was after 45 secs , it couldnt have sold out that fast ...could it.

Did you try at UTC+1 or UTC+2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

From the website...."All start places for DATEV Challenge Roth on July 12, 2015 were booked up within a few minutes. On Monday (July 28) the online registration process had been launched at precisely 10 a.m., and no more than 54 seconds later all of the available places for foreign athletes were gone. After 1:10 minutes all Slots for german athletes had been gone too."

That's fairly fast! How many pieces of information did you need to type in 54 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

The registration works a little different in Roth hence the reason it sells out so fast. U only have to give name and e-mail (and 1 or 2 small other bits) and then u get a mail stating that you have a right to register. U don't have to fill in everything like an ironman reg.

Then u have 7/10 days to fully register and pay. A lot don't take the reg in the end on and it usually comes on sale again in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

also they allow people to queue up the day after the race at the expo to sign up, there was well over a thousand there when i was there, they do pre registration codes too, so say if you're heading over with a club in 2015, you can mail them a couple of months in advance and they will happily send you out codes for you and your pals to register before the 2014 race even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Did u pre-reg Dave

• Advertisement

Did u pre-reg Dave

only for 2014, not doing it 2015 Del

after doing 1 IM and 1 Challenge brand, i think id pay the extra for IM... but that's just my opinion

tinydave wrote: »
    only for 2014, not doing it 2015 Del

after doing 1 IM and 1 Challenge brand, i think id pay the extra for IM... but that's just my opinion

Roth is different to alot of IMs but its roughly the same as Frankfurt I thought. Waves a bit different but those are creeping in in IM now

I'd be interested in hearing your pros/cons list.

Only done IM myself, currently trying to figure out my next adventure.

Shedite27 wrote: »

which one did you do?

I found the bike check in very casual and not a secure as Frankfurt, in Frankfurt you have a marshal that brings you in, helps with racking your bike and brings you back out, meaning less chance of "bikes or gear going missing" Roth you walked in with your bike, get your helmet checked and your free to walk around and rack your bike, there was some confusion with the racking too (other people racking in people places etc). also i seen some people walk out with bikes (no one checking if that was their bike or not after bike check in). in saying that i didn't hear of anything going "missing" so maybe this works and Frankfurt is over kill.
    The swim was a wave starts, i was in wave 10 (i knew this anyway but i prefer the one wave start, lots of traffic in the canal to swim around/over,) i don't think the canal could handle a one wave start anyway. As Tunney said its starting to creep into Ironman events now :-(
    on the 2nd loop of the bike i passed two aid stations that had no water or even any drinks, meaning a 20k spin after each station conserving what ever fluids you had left... (maybe it was the hot day and extra demand for water that caught the stations out),
    aid stations on the run i found were very hit and miss, some were very small meaning congestion and people everywhere trying to grab the same cups etc etc ( i wasn't in it to win it or anything so i just had to stop to get the water etc instead of the slow plod/walk i was doing anyway)

the food at the finish line was crap too, some sort of ham and cheese roll thingy with pastries, (now i know the food is normally crap at these but in Frankfort we got hotdogs that were actually alright to eat)
    also there were showers but no towels to use so unless you brought a towel in the after race bag prepare to be smelly till you get back to hotel. (Frankfurt you got a Towel),

in saying that Roth was an awesome experience, the crowds were everywhere for the day, the support was amazing, it looked like there was lots of support cars / quad bikes (with spare wheels) and mechanics after every aid station. the crowds on the run and locals in the small towns we went trough were very supportive, there were lots of marshals at T1/T2, the finishers chute was unbelievable too. its deffo one for the bucket list but not the i need to do this now list

but I've done Roth now, Not in the time i'd hoped but it was an experience i wont forget, i even was given the wrong finishers t-shirt but one quick mail to them and i had one in the post a few days later. so great post race help too (horrible T-shirts btw)

for the extra 100 odd euro i think IM have all the basics done well and is worth it, id go back to Frankfurt before Roth but that's just my opinion. :)
    I've only done Frankfurt and Roth so these are my experiences with them

now 99% of people will think the above are petty cons about Roth but when you train so much for the one event you'd expect the best with the amount of money and time you have invested into it :)

• Advertisement

I found the bike check in very casual and not a secure as Frankfurt, in Frankfurt you have a marshal that brings you in, helps with racking your bike and brings you back out, meaning less chance of "bikes or gear going missing" Roth you walked in with your bike, get your helmet checked and your free to walk around and rack your bike, there was some confusion with the racking too (other people racking in people places etc). also i seen some people walk out with bikes (no one checking if that was their bike or not after bike check in). in saying that i didn't hear of anything going "missing" so maybe this works and Frankfurt is over kill.
    This year in Frankfurt they didn't check bikes or helmets on the way in. On the way out was equally lax.
    The swim was a wave starts, i was in wave 10 (i knew this anyway but i prefer the one wave start, lots of traffic in the canal to swim around/over,) i don't think the canal could handle a one wave start anyway. As Tunney said its starting to creep into Ironman events now :-(

Again frankfurt is two waves now, suspect go more
    on the 2nd loop of the bike i passed two aid stations that had no water or even any drinks, meaning a 20k spin after each station conserving what ever fluids you had left... (maybe it was the hot day and extra demand for water that caught the stations out),
    aid stations on the run i found were very hit and miss, some were very small meaning congestion and people everywhere trying to grab the same cups etc etc ( i wasn't in it to win it or anything so i just had to stop to get the water etc instead of the slow plod/walk i was doing anyway)

Again same in Frankfurt this year, saw two fights over water.
    the food at the finish line was crap too, some sort of ham and cheese roll thingy with pastries, (now i know the food is normally crap at these but in Frankfort we got hotdogs that were actually alright to eat)

HAHAH Frankfurt slipped this year, food was sh1te compared to 2011 (or maybe I was three hours later). Would love to commend on the Roth food in 2012 but I never get to have it cause of jackyback related drama.
    also there were showers but no towels to use so unless you brought a towel in the after race bag prepare to be smelly till you get back to hotel. (Frankfurt you got a Towel),
    HAHAHAHAHA yes in 2011 I did, in 2014 no towel and I had banked on one so no shower.

in saying that Roth was an awesome experience, the crowds were everywhere for the day, the support was amazing, it looked like there was lots of support cars / quad bikes (with spare wheels) and mechanics after every aid station. the crowds on the run and locals in the small towns we went trough were very supportive, there were lots of marshals at T1/T2, the finishers chute was unbelievable too. its deffo one for the bucket list but not the i need to do this now list

but I've done Roth now, Not in the time i'd hoped but it was an experience i wont forget, i even was given the wrong finishers t-shirt but one quick mail to them and i had one in the post a few days later. so great post race help too (horrible T-shirts btw)

for the extra 100 odd euro i think IM have all the basics done well and is worth it, id go back to Frankfurt before Roth but that's just my opinion. :)
    I've only done Frankfurt and Roth so these are my experiences with them

Comparing 2011 Frankfurt and 2012 Roth setup - yes I would agree.
    Compaing 2012 Roth and 2014 Frankfurt - nope. Frankfurt has slipped.
    now 99% of people will think the above are petty cons about Roth but when you train so much for the one event you'd expect the best with the amount of money and time you have invested into it :)

tunney wrote: »
    This year in Frankfurt they didn't check bikes or helmets on the way in. On the way out was equally lax.

Again frankfurt is two waves now, suspect go more

Again same in Frankfurt this year, saw two fights over water.

HAHAH Frankfurt slipped this year, food was sh1te compared to 2011 (or maybe I was three hours later). Would love to commend on the Roth food in 2012 but I never get to have it cause of jackyback related drama.

HAHAHAHAHA yes in 2011 I did, in 2014 no towel and I had banked on one so no shower.

Comparing 2011 Frankfurt and 2012 Roth setup - yes I would agree.
    Compaing 2012 Roth and 2014 Frankfurt - nope. Frankfurt has slipped.

don't ruin my Frankfurt Dream Tunney ! its the only dream i love having every night:D:D:D:D

tunney wrote: »
    which one did you do?
    I've done IM Austria, thinking of Challenge Roth or IM Mallorca as my next adventure
    I found the bike check in very casual ....The swim was a wave starts, ....aid stations on the run i found were very hit and miss....the food at the finish line was crap too.....there were showers but no towels to use .....horrible T-shirts
    Cheers. Yeah some people will feel they're petty, but if the race is costing ya €400 to enter, you want everything to be perfect.

For what it's worth, IM Austria had a solid bike check in, swim in two waves, aid stations were well stocked, food at the finish was good, showers but no towels, and a similarly horible tshirt.

I've done IM Austria, thinking of Challenge Roth or IM Mallorca as my next adventure

Cheers. Yeah some people will feel they're petty, but if the race is costing ya €400 to enter, you want everything to be perfect.

For what it's worth, IM Austria had a solid bike check in, swim in two waves, aid stations were well stocked, food at the finish was good, showers but no towels, and a similarly horible tshirt.

Sorry Shedite, in my experience its all downhill from IM Austria.

I don't know anything about Mallorca I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Less than a week to go...

Weather forecast has been everything between 26 and 36 for race day.

Roll call?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Yup heading over there myself. I hope for more 26 degrees than 36. Am flying out from Dub on Friday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Hi All,

I've luckily managed to secure a 2024 Roth entry. Can anybody recommend accomodation in Nuremberg (or elsewhere) that would help minimize stress with the registration and race day logistics?

I have done a few IM/Challenge events so am aware of what's likely to be involved.

Thanks a million.

Advertisement