Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about matching marriage records

Options
  • 28-07-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I have found two persons with similar marriage records. How do I know if they refer to the same marriage? Does the same GS film number mean it's the same marriage?

Name:
    Event Type: Marriage
    Event Date: Jul - Sep 1914
    Event Place: Athlone, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1914
    Registration District: Athlone
    Volume Number: 3
    Page Number: 2
    GS Film number: 101262
    Digital Folder Number: 004199364
    Image Number: 00681

Name:
    Event Type: Marriage
    Event Date: Jul - Sep 1914
    Event Place: Athlone, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1914
    Registration District: Athlone
    Volume Number: 3
    Page Number: 2
    GS Film number: 101262
    Digital Folder Number: 004199364
    Image Number: 00689

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

possibly the same marriage - once the registration district, year/quarter, volume and page match

the other references are LDS/Familysearch and not relevant to a possible cross-match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

there are four marriages indexed for that particular register page - so 8 names in all. There's no way to be certain who married who based on the Index alone, but you may be able to work out likely pairings based on maiden names on later births if the couples stayed in the area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    but you may be able to work out likely pairings based on maiden names on later births if the couples stayed in the area.

Now if they hadn't pulled the access to the Civil Records you could spend a little time matching potential husbands and wives together and look at future births <3 years after the marriage who have the correct mothers maiden name.

You could perhaps do the same thing right now on RootsIreland without having to spend any money on certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Rootsireland is an excellent site, a very good forum, i have found the benefits myself, but you cant beat using the parish records either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

chrysagon wrote: »
    Rootsireland is an excellent site, a very good forum, i have found the benefits myself, but you cant beat using the parish records either.

I wouldn't go as far as excellent. They've got great resources but it's overpriced, unless you're buying in large bulk, the search engine is not helpful and you only get transcripts, which means you can't verify the result. It's also very hard to find a list of which records each centre has.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

i was talking about Rootireland..its a forum, you place your details and hopefully some one reading as much the same info,it has worked for me..and free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the url? The only rootsireland I know is rootsireland.ie which is the site of the Irish Family History Foundation - who claim to be not for profit but charge for viewing parish records. I can't see a forum on the site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

maybe the poster meant rootschat

Rootschat.com

Advertisement