Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weeds in joints between paving slabs

Options
  • 28-07-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey guys

ive paving slabs in back yard. its a big area and weeds area knightmare. there are only sand between the slabs. if i cemeneted the joints are after pulling up the weeds, would this stop the weeds coming through.

What can i put in between. anything i can use with a silicone gun?

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

allycavs wrote: »
    Hey guys

ive paving slabs in back yard. its a big area and weeds area knightmare. there are only sand between the slabs. if i cemeneted the joints are after pulling up the weeds, would this stop the weeds coming through.

What can i put in between. anything i can use with a silicone gun?

Alan

Unfortunately the answer is no. I have a similar problem and the start of the summer (April) I used a power hose to clean all moss and green from the slabs and remove all the weeds from the sand between them. I brushed back in new paving sand again and the patio was back to its best.

I read about a product called Algon which is suppoaed to keep moss and green off the slabs so I then put this all over the slabs and sand and hoped for the best. At the moment the slabs look the same as when they were cleaned and there isn't a weed or moss to be seen so I'm impressed at the moment!!! We havent had much rain though so that would probably test it more but for the moment I'm pleased.

I'm pretty sure I might have to do this again next year as the moss/greenery seems to grow much more over the winter or at least it did last year but if it stays clean for the remainder of the summer then I will be very happy.

The whole lot coat about €100 and a day in the garden and for once a year it's definitely worth it. Give it a go and see how you get on but I'm afraid you are at nothing siliconing and whatnot unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭allycavs

have you cemented and pointed the joints? thanks for the advice/ ill try algon

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

allycavs wrote: »
    have you cemented and pointed the joints? thanks for the advice/ ill try algon

No. Paving sand in the joints

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Path Clear works quite well when applied twice yearly. It can be applied with a sprayer or watering can. You mix the path clear solution with water and you are good to go.

Another method advised to me was to mix up some cement, dry cement, that is the sand + cement mixture before the water is applied. Now sprinkle this over the gaps or into the gaps in the paving slabs, a brush can be used to spread it correctly. When that's done you then either wait for rain or sprinkle water over the area. The cement will harden between the slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The guy who paved our patio says when properly sanded joints the weeds are seeds that have landed on the joints, not come up through. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Yes, he is correct. The paving slabs are layed on a bed of well thumped sand(or should be) but the weeds are not coming up through the sand they are growing out of clay and sand that has settled in between the slabs and as such do not have very deep roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Clean out the weeds and old sand. Make a dry mix of sand and cement at 5:1 and brush it into the joints. When the joints are filled, gently water it, making sure you left no dry mortar on the slabs in case they stain it. That will set within a few hours and no weeds will grow from beneath.

Thanks guys for all the advice. yeah i think ill cement. its a big big area though. take me ages!!

Cemenet expands and contracts. so would this not cause issues. if paving slabs expanded and the cement inbetween the slabs also expands the paving slabs may be forced up in a buckling effect?

Advertisement