Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempo runs for 5k-half

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is covered in another thread somewhere first of all.

I am trying to get a clear idea on the range of distances that are appropriate for tempo runs while training for 5k-half marathons.

I have a fair idea already on the different types of tempo runs and how they can be broken up into 1 mile repeats, 2 mile repeats, continual running for the duration of the tempo section etc.

I suppose my specific questions are ( again, related to 5k-half training plans):

1 - how long is too long for a tempo run ? ( or is there such a thing as a tempo run that is too long?)

2 - Are there any real differences between the kind of tempo you should run while training for 5k, 10k and half ?

It seems to be that tempo runs are universally beneficial across the spectrum of the more common distances.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Duanington, there are several different types on tempo run, all of which would be useful for any distance between 5-21k. Cruise intervals from the Jack Daniels book, are usually miles reps at tempo pace with short recovery in between and would be done if you wanted to get some tempo work without over-stressing the body. A standard tempo run would be a 20-40 minute effort at around about ten mile pace, or the pace you could run on that day for an hour. Then lastly you could do a longer tempo run of up to an hour, and you would have to adjust the pace (would be somewhere between 1/2 marathon and marathon pace). If you were going to go over an hour then you would be better switching to steady/marathon pace.

If I was you I would start with something like 2x10 mins and then build it up gradually, 20 mins straight, then 10+15 mins, 2x15 mins and then the last one would be 2x20 mins. If you were training for a half I would throw in the occasional longer run maybe about every 3 weeks where you do close to an hour at slower that tempo pace. But those sessions above will help you for any race distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

What would you consider a good weeks training to cover?

I am thinking something along the lines of:

1 x shorter interval session (400m, 800m and 1k reps)
    1 x tempo run (as above, 20 min tempo, 30, 40 mins etc)
    1 x Longer Run (minimum 90 minutes)

And a few easy runs sandwiched in the middle of the sessions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cona wrote: »
    What would you consider a good weeks training to cover?

I am thinking something along the lines of:

1 x shorter interval session (400m, 800m and 1k reps)
    1 x tempo run (as above, 20 min tempo, 30, 40 mins etc)
    1 x Longer Run (minimum 90 minutes)

And a few easy runs sandwiched in the middle of the sessions...

Looks pretty good to me, a few alterations you could make depending on what specific distance you were aiming for but the above will cover a lot of bases.

Advertisement