Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be Afraid of Carbon!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its not Friday yet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

They only break apart if you crash them, don't crash.:)

Well, actually, carbon failure is something you should consider seriously:

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

What is the frame size of your Felt? I can take it from you for a small fee to save you from getting hurt. Or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Riders have described landing on the top, horizontal tube of the bikes during crashes and ending up on the road after their frames splintered and collapsed
    That's what the auto industry calls a "crumple zone".

Besides which, "ending up on the road" is the very definition of a crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Having recently purchased my first all Carbon frame (FELT AR4) and only yesterday reaching a top speed of 62KPH coming off Re na Ri in Cork, I have to say I am a little nervous that someday the bike will just crumble beneath me.

Maybe its ridiculous, but is there any merit in worrying while riding?

Interesting article on the Irish times seems to suggest so
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/carbon-fibre-bicycles-in-the-frame-for-rising-number-of-injuries-1.1879653

Any thoughts?

Lots of things can happen to you while riding a bike at 62kph-you might hit a pothole like Alberto in the tour, you might run into a sheep, a car might knock you off. Your carbon bike breaking for no apparent reason beneath you is highly unlikely and way down the list of things that might end you while riding a bike. It's true that carbon bikes might break in a crash, but in that case, you would already have crashed, so the bike breaking beneath you would be a consequence rather than a cause (see again Alberto's spill and subsequent busted bike in the tour this year). Enjoy the carbon bike for the amazing specific-purpose handling the material makes possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Meh...I'll take my chances on my F5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Have a felt ar4 since 2010. Reach 60+ kph most days over rough roads. Hit pot holes a good few times no sign of the bike falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The very fact you can reach 62kph is probably enough reason to feel nervous. ;) If I get up to 35k on my MTB I get sweaty palms...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Koobcam wrote: »
    (see again Alberto's spill and subsequent busted bike in the tour this year).

Berties frame did not break due to him crashing off his bike while he was getting food out off his pockets,his frame broke due to it and a belkin bike getting tangled up as the belkin car tried to overtake Saxo's car.

As another has said,alot more other reasons to be wary about while descending or even riding your bike other than what type frame yea on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

.ak wrote: »
    The very fact you can reach 62kph is probably enough reason to feel nervous. ;) If I get up to 35k on my MTB I get sweaty palms...

You need to try harder ;). 62kph is fairly easy to hit.

As to the main question, if I spent much time worrying about crashing I'd have given up cycling long ago.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

I'm now more afraid of sheep.

But seriously much obliged for the thoughts. Glad to know that a carbon frame shattering will more than likely be the consequence of a crash rather than a cause. Had visions of me motoring along and suddenly my bike just shatters :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Brian? wrote: »
    You need to try harder ;). 62kph is fairly easy to hit.

I do that going up howth.

I do that going up howth.

Chasing a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Alek wrote: »
    Chasing a sheep.

with Jack Russells attached to both ankles with their teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

Koobcam wrote: »
    with Jack Russells attached to both ankles with their teeth...

some man:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some man:cool:

and that's with his new running craze. you should see him do it on a bike. triple digits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mossym wrote: »
    tripe digits.
    this is a very odd mental image.

this is a very odd mental image.

as in xxxkm/hr

can't comment on what dark places your mind has gone with that..:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fingers made from tripe.

fingers made from tripe.

ah now i see it.. thanks..i'll correct it..:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement