Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re: Breaking Lease on compassionate grounds.

Options
  • 27-07-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. Long story short, a woman threw herself off the building beside the one i live in. I was on the way out, heard it and when I turned around, there she was. After the whole guards/ambulance thing had happened, I went back to my apartment. It really effected my and I've been having nightmares about it since. I've to walk/drive passed that spot every day and I just can't get it out of my head.

It was the icing on the cake. I've been in the apartment 2 months but there are always junkies/alcos outside a lot and I've seen some needles in the stairwells. I got onto the property management company that looks after my building, asking if I could be released from the lease. After speaking to the owner of the company, he told me that I would be liable for the rent on the apartment until someone else moved in. (Very nice of him, it's not his problem that I'm upset by this).

So, I found somewhere else to live today and had to borrow the money for the new deposit and I'm due to move in on the 25th of next month. (August). I know I don't have any sort of rights, but I'm freaking out as I can't afford to pay rent on two apartments for long. The owner of the management company said on Wednesday they would advertise the apartment for rent but nothing has happened as of yet.

Any advice/thoughts on how I should proceed or anything I should do here?

Thanks
    IT9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Find someone to take over the lease. Is the owner of the property management company also an EA? Ask the EA will they advertise it for rent, put an ad on daft and in newspaper (all at your expense, it is going to be deducted from your deposit so you might as well get the ball rolling yourself as soon as possible), put up a poster at your workplace, ask colleagues if any of them would be interested but leave out the bit about the lady jumping.

If you sit on your hands and do nothing, you are liable for the remainder of the contract you signed until someone moves in and these days with the necessity for references etc, the LL will no doubt be able to reach you at your place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles. Have you been able to talk to someone about what you saw that day? Your GP might be able to recommend someone locally.

I can't disagree with anything that davo10 has said. The only thing I could add would be that you could take an anti-social behaviour complaint to the PRTB about the needles, etc., but I'm not sure if they would uphold the complaint unless there was a history of complaints.

Advertisement