Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Big Thank You-There are good people still out there

Options
  • 27-07-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Had an interesting mechanical today past the Sally Gap.

Middle of nowhere, no phone coverage and a spoke worked it's way loose-one unusable Fulcrum 3..

Anyone that knows these wheels will be familiar with the notion of the fact that there is no simple way of re fitting the spoke nipple as it is a sealed rim-it is normally fitted with a magnet-cue a good 40 min of scratching of heads between myself and my clubmate.

Along came a sparks from Leopardstown to walk his dogs and he went so far out of his way to help us,to take the time from his walk with his good lady

The opening gambit was "Hi lads-can I help?" .It was astounding-he had a magnet, believe it or not, but it wasn't powerful enough.. More head scratching (4heads now, instead of 2!) so, he says...he then proceeded to strip some electrical wire, we fed the nipple through the rim with the copper wire, hooked the end of it and managed to true the wheel.

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

Thank you so much for your McGyver intervention-Chapeau, sir!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ckeego wrote: »
    Had an interesting mechanical today past the Sally Gap.

Middle of nowhere, no phone coverage and a spoke worked it's way loose-one unusable Fulcrum 3..

Anyone that knows these wheels will be familiar with the notion of the fact that there is no simple way of re fitting the spoke nipple as it is a sealed rim-cue a good 40 min of scratching of heads between myself and my clubmate.

Along came a sparks from Leopardstown to walk his dogs and he went so far out of his way to help us,to take the time from his walk with his good lady.It was astounding-stripped some electrical wire, we fed the nipple through the rim with the copper wire and managed to true the wheel.

“How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

Thank you so much for your McGyver intervention-Chapeau, sir!

I'm lovin' this! Thanks for sharing. Their are some truly wonderful people out there, some that do seem to appear when you very least expect.

Thanks again for sharing,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I'm lovin' this! Thanks for sharing. Their are some truly wonderful people out there, some that do seem to appear when you very least expect.

Thanks again for sharing,
    kerry4sam
    I think a lot of us bitch and moan over the last 6 or 7 years so it is very heartwarming to see someone take the time of of their day to help the way I was helped today.

My ride partner blew out a wheel on Tues night, again in the Wicklow back of beyonds and another good soul loaded the bike in his pick up and dropped him to his door.

To all the riders who stopped to ask had we got things in hand today, thank you too.

As the Yanks say, try and pass it on..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

A great story. It's not everyday you meet a real life McGyver!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Epic story, fair play to him, quick thinking.

Advertisement