Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a road bike please

Options
  • 27-07-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Yet another recommend thread...but I'd really appreciate your advice.

I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks and I'll be commuting 20 miles a day, by bike.

I'm planning to get a new road bike in the BTW scheme.

My primary concern is comfort and durability. I won't be racing the bike so I don't think I need huge scope for mods. My budget is around €1,800. I'm looking for your advice as to what bikes I should be looking at (I've a complete open mind re brands, aluminium/carbon).

I recently rode a friend's Cannondale CAAD 10 and I liked it. Are they good value for money...or are there less popular brands that would give more bang for your buck?

Also, I'm 6'2 with long legs, so should I be looking at a 58?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Beware that a 58 size varies in sizes across different brands.But in Cannondale a 58 should be a good fit depending on your flexibility and the distance you intend to use the bike for.

The Caad 10 is a solid bike.Superlite alliminium with a decent 105 groupset.Stock is low across the country at the moment with the Caad 10 you're talking about early October before 2015 stock is in.

The Caanondale Synapse carbon 105 could also be a decent alternative.It won bike of the year in a few magazines due to the comfort of the ride.Once again stock is extremely limited at the moment.

Lapierres Sensium 300FDJ is also a great buy for your money.105 and Ultegra mix.Comfortable bike once again

Having seen a provisional list of prices for some brands and there bikes ,this year it looks like 2015 bikes will be cheaper than 2014 bikes by about 50 euro plus.

If you have any questions on any bike youve looked at just go ahead and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Cheers.

Any thoughts on Bianchi?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Cheers.

Any thoughts on Bianchi?

I wouldn't on your budget, much better value for money to be had.

Ribble, Rose, Canyon, Planet X etcetera.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Bianchi are a high end brand there are definitely more bikes out there with better value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What do you make of Planet X bikes?

They seem like incredible value when compared to similar big brand bikes. Are they too good to be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Bikes are A 1 from Planet X, it is the shop in Athlone that would put anyone off buying one (search threads and you will find any amount). If getting one, go online and get it from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Really like my Specialized Roubaix SL4 that I got a while ago with the b2w scheme. The Zertz inserts make my 20km commute smooth. Can't compare it as I don't have a huge amount of experience with different road bikes but I'm happy out!

Advertisement