Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposing to a brazilian girl

Options
  • 27-07-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm in a relationship with a brazilian girl and I have started planning how to pop the question. Thing is in Brazil the ring is worn on the right hand until married? I need as much help on this as possible, proposing to a brazilian girl for dummies kinda thing , step by step if possible.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

A few pics of the girl would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

How so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Just for, eh...... Research, like.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You're way over thinking this.

But, with that said. Asking her in Portuguese would be a nice touch.

How does one say the following in Portuguese... 'How would you like to be buried with my people?'

Plenty of other sites that can help you with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1 user125

how long have you been dating? Many non eu are looking for lads so that they can get the visa sorted..

Yes we both are living here, me all my life so far and her 11 years, dating several months but I'm just looking to get all the info together at this time, nothing more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Im married to a Brazilian for 6 years, i proposed the normal way, she wears ring on left hand

not sure what you need to know but ask away and I will tell you what I can, but all girls are different

• Advertisement

ken76 wrote: »
    Im married to a Brazilian for 6 years, i proposed the normal way, she wears ring on left hand

Well what I need to know most is some info online is telling me they wear engagement rings on their right hand, and do I buy a ring for myself aswell ?

She wears ring on left hand, I didnt buy for myself ,but what i did do was ask for permission from her aul lad, they are big into tradition in that way

And how did that go ?

went well we are still married, it was probably easier cause I can speak the language but he did ask 101 questions as any father in law would I suppose. I wouldn't worry on small items like left hand or right hand, there are other big cultural differences you will have to adapt to.

What would they be? I already know the nothing before marriage one and god is everything one

have a look at this website gringoes.com its about foreigners in brazil, i lived in sao paulo for 3 years, anyway go to the forum page in gringoes.com you will get all the answers you need there

Will do, thank you

have you been to Brazil? what part of Brazil is she from? how old is she ? you?

Brazilians view of marriage is you are marrying their whole family, that's what i found most difficult at first, they try to be involved in every decision

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Roadsmart, the OP is here to get advice on proposing, I'm sure he can do without people leching after his girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

My missus is from SP, but we did everything kinda differently (she was separated to be divorced when we met) and we aren't religious in the slightest (though her family are) so I probably can't give you much advice about "proper" engagement & marriage - a small registry office in Brazil did for us.

As said before though, proposing in Portuguese may be nice, and I wouldn't stress about rings on this hand or t'other. Different cultures and all. I'd imagine she'd like an "Irish" engagement for the novelty, followed by a more Brazilian wedding...my missus thinks Irish weddings and receptions are a bit naff...I'd agree with her there really.

Toots* wrote: »
    Roadsmart, the OP is here to get advice on proposing, I'm sure he can do without people leching after his girlfriend.

Thank you for that

Advertisement