Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary employment while on Jobseeker's Allowance

Options
  • 27-07-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, I'm currently claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, I've been claiming either this or BTE for a few years now. I've just received an offer of temporary employment which would last between 4-10 weeks (depending on how busy the factory is) with no prospects of continued employment afterwards. Hours/weeks are not guaranteed but I would definitely have some work during this time period and am told I would be making 300-400 on weeks that I am working, which I imagine means I would be working full weeks when they have the hours. Obviously I am very interested in having a few weeks work experience and having the extra cash but if I sign off JA and then sign back on I could end up not being able to afford rent for several weeks. Also, as I signed on before they changed the rates I receive 144 euro per week instead of 100. Would I be cut back to 100 if I signed off and back on? Is it possible that I could switch to Jobseeker's Benefit (not sure how this works) for the weeks I am working so that I wouldn't end up unable to make rent if there are weeks when they don't have hours for me? I'm 23 and living on my own so I can't afford to be stuck with no income for any length of time. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The best thing you can do is call into your sw office and ask for advice. From what you have said you maybe fully employed one week but then get no employment.... you would need to change your claim from fully unemployed to casual... you will need to get forms filled up by your employer and send in dockets every week. Your means from your employment will also be assessed. €144 is your personal rate that rate will be the same unless you sign off for more than 12 months. The only way you can switch to jobseekers benefit is if you have and entitlement to this and that is highly unlikely in view of the fact that you say you have been in receipt of jsa and bte for a few years.

Advertisement