Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 21, Le Grande Finale. Evry - Paris, 17 July. TG4 & Eurosport.

Options
  • 27-07-2014 2:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Yorkshire seem like a long time and distance away now.

PROFIL.png

Preview by INRNG

The Route: a Parisian classic with the race starting in the Orge valley before heading into the city to lap the Champs Elysées. There’s little point detailing the strategic elements except to say the race uses the full length ofles champs, like last year. As ever there’s a slight rise to the road and it’s cobbled, obviously the urban variety ofpavé but a different feeling.

• Pointless: because we know who has won the Tour de France and half of the stage is a victory parade, a procession
    • Essential: because it crowns the victor and provides the prestigious backdrop. After weeks touring rural France here is the capital’s seal of approval
    tumblr_n9cafvoTmQ1ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    The Scenario: it might start out as fun and games but it ends with some of the fiercest racing all year. Just ask Lieuwe Westra who started the final stage last year but could not finish. We’ve also seen some riders attack to improve their GC position although it’s hard to imagine Romain Bardet outriding Tejay van Garderen today. Talking of likely outcomes, expect to see Vincenzo Nibali in full yellow kit today with matching shorts and bike.
    The Contenders: almost the sprinters’ world championships the finish is usually reserved for the fast men although there have been upsets from time to time and today’s chance of rain might just alter the story.
    If not then can Marcel Kittel repeat last year’s success? He’s looked stuffed since the Alps but two day of relative restraint might mean he’s back in action. I certainly think Giant-Shimano will back him.
    Alexander Kristoff is the “freshness” card. If you think Kittel is cooked then Kristoff has yet to pass his best before date. The Norwegian seems to prefer the tough conditions and could take his third stage win.
    Next is André Greipel who has the speed and power for a stage win but hasn’t had the luck so far. He’s got one win but might be placed to take more. Then comes Peter Sagan, still hunting for a stage win to avoid Thor Hushovd’s 2005 feat of winning the green jersey without a stage win. Of course winning the jersey is impressive and the whole point of the competition is to reward regularity ahead of speed but still, a win would suit him. But watch Elia Viviani too, maybe Cannondale repay his support role, he has the leg speed to surprise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Hard to see past Kittel for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Sagan in this photo. There aren't words...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kittel at the doctors car problem with his wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jens voigt to go on a final, fruitless attack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nice write up but for fuure reference black formatted text is impossible to read for boardsies using the cloud skin..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for doing the thread lapin! Missing this stage and I missed yesterday's too. Hoping for a Kittel win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well there goes lunch after that piece of information from the lads. :(

The lads drawing distinctions between getting around Paris and London are not really comparing like with like in fairness unless they include the Banlieue.

Incredible timing by the air display to pass over the race as soon as it enters the Champs Élysées for the first time.

Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jens Attacks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Would FDJ have been within their rights to push things on after JCP crashed - I mean why should the yellow jersey dictate that everyone slow down, it's in his interests too that they take things nice and easy but surely FDJ had every right to get the team up the front to keep the pace high

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks to everybody, who did the profiles etc. every day.
    It all added to the enjoyment.
    Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Have to watch this on tg4 today. Why does the commentator keep making trumpet type noises

Kittel again !

I was certain someone was gonna go flying there.

Fair play, Kittel v Kristoff and Kittel has the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fell asleep with 4km to go. I am a fool!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody, who did the profiles etc. every day.
    It all added to the enjoyment.
    Good job.

Pleasure! Suggestions on how to improve it for the Vuelta are welcome. Would anyone be interested in a predictions league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That camera they insist using in the final 500 metres is terrible. You have no idea what's happening behind the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

. Would anyone be interested in a predictions league?

this. All of my this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

And now the existential crisis begins. Ah well, there's always the Vuelta. :pac:

I'm not really bothered that this Tour was essentially sans Froome and Contador (probably an unpopular opinion). A thoroughly deserved yellow jersey win by Nibali. As I read somewhere he became the new 'Boss'. I hope it sticks.

Good to see so much French success in Le Tour too. And the Dutchies too. :D

• Advertisement

pajor wrote: »
    Good to see so much French success in Le Tour too. And the Dutchies too. :D

And the Germans too. Won 33% of the stages.

Bernie Eisel is more of a natural in front of the camera than Greg le Mond and the other dude!

At the presentations why do the winners jerseys zip up from the back?

Thanks to Darkglasses & everyone else who did the stage previews.

neris wrote: »
    At the presentations why do the winners jerseys zip up from the back?

They are jerseys that are just used for the podium presentations, not during the race. Why they don't zip up from the front, I dunno, maybe it shows of the sponsor's logos better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

gives Bernard Hinault something to do.

Who let eamonn gilmore on the podium

Where can I get some yellow chinos!?

pajor wrote: »
    A thoroughly deserved yellow jersey win by Nibali. As I read somewhere he became the new 'Boss'. I hope it sticks.

I personally think we missed an epic battle between the 3, but would imagine Nibali would have finished 3rd not 1st had they all made it through to the Alpes, he's certainly no "Boss".

They are jerseys that are just used for the podium presentations, not during the race. Why they don't zip up from the front, I dunno, maybe it shows of the sponsor's logos better?

I'm pretty sure those sponsor logos are ironed on, which can't be done if there's a zip at the front. Zipping up at the back is a bit more elegant than pulling it over your head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Really enjoyed it all, a great winner in Nibali . . . seems an absolute age ago Cavendish was crashing out & Nibali for instance stealing that brilliant win on Stage 2. Thanks to the stage previewers for the great work.

Think the time he had to play with after the cobbles over Contador would very likely have been replicated with Froome, & given his excellent form right thru the Tour Nibali would have been very hard to dislodge. Anyway, regardless of the empty ifs and buts, this was the race & Nibali was a superb winner.

Advertisement