Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord trying to get me to pay his building insurance *advice

Options
  • 27-07-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

well as it says in the title, my landlord is trying to get me to pay his building insurance. The building is a commercial property.

I'm just looking for some advice in relation to this. Is he chancing his arm?

There is no provision for insurance payment in the lease agreement.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

yomchi wrote: »

There is no provision for insurance payment in the lease agreement.

?

If this is true then this is your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Standard practice for a landlord to make you contribute to the buildings insurance policy. But, oops, if he hasn't included it in the lease, he has no right to ask you

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is quite common for tenants to pay the insurance of commercial properties.

What is the title on the contract? Does it say something like "Fully Repairing and Insuring"? (FRI) or "Internally Repairing and Insuring"? (IRI) - these would be standard contracts.

Any solicitor dealing in commercial property should be able to help you out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its standard for tenants of commercial property to pay building insurance.
    Its the complete opposite of the situation with a residential tenancy.
    Its always been this way. How has confusion even entered the equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thanks for all the answers guys.
    Appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement