Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech hedge got sprayed

Options
  • 27-07-2014 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Few years back I planted a beech hedge on our boundary. Approx 30 m length.

All was going well untill the farmer next door decided to spray off his oilseed rape. I wasn't there the day it was done but the crop has turned completely brown and so have parts of my hedge.

Seems some plants just have damage across the top others are much worse (all down sides as well ) and some are unaffected.
    I presume it was round-up but dont know.

Should I prune off any damage or is it best to leave alone as whats done is done?
    I have been watering it well since , don't know if that helps.

None of them are completely dead ( yet ).
    Will they come back next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It will depend on what he sprayed with. when you say spray off do you mean kill off or an insecticide or a fertiliser?

If it was a systemic weed killer then it may be too late. If another it may just kill the leaves. I would wait and see how the hedge recovers (perhaps until next spring) and then prune out any dead branches.

Any chance you could ask what he sprayed with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

Don't worry I will be making a point of meeting him when he comes in to harvest which will be in the next fortnight or so.
    I dont really want to cut out the affected bits so that he will be able to see what damage has been done.
    At the very least I am expecting to get the price of some replacement plants from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There's no way to undo what's been done; if the herbicide is going to kill your hedge, there's nothing to prevent it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i were you, i wouldn't be waiting two weeks to contact him, i'd contact him now as the timelines will be more conclusive.

hughjohn wrote: »
    I dont really want to cut out the affected bits so that he will be able to see what damage has been done.

I wouldn't cut out the affected bits until you know for sure they are dead. The branches may have just lost their leaves but may not be dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

Oldtree wrote: »
    I wouldn't cut out the affected bits until you know for sure they are dead. The branches may have just lost their leaves but may not be dead.

Good point , hadn't thought of that.

at least you will be able to retain the shape of the hedge for now, and if it doesn't recover it will afford you some privacy, in addition to shelter for the next hedge you plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Probably systemic herbicide, that is what is normally used to finish off oilseed rape prior to harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The whole concept of spraying a food plant with systemic herbicide then harvesting it is boggling my mind a bit. I know a lot of spraying goes on - a relative of mine is having to move house because of allergic reaction to the amount of spraying that goes on in adjacent fields - but really, if you can believe that organic is actually organic, it begins to make a lot of sense.

Edit - sorry I know that is completely OT for this forum, I think I will take the discussion elsewhere...Farming and Forestry maybe? :-)

Advertisement