Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using existing sensors with a new alarm system?

Options
  • 27-07-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi All,

We just renovated a house, which involved installing new sash windows. The window manufacturer asked if we wanted to avail of integrated alarm sensors to avoid having two plastic boxes screwed onto each window by the alarm company. We did so, and they are very subtle, and only visible when the window is open as they are recessed into the runner.

I just called phonewatch for a quote and they said that they will not be in a position to utilise these existing sensors.

can a wireless "sender/transponder" be attached to these, or are we now looking at either a fully wired system, or not using them?

Many Thanks

Johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

They will work fine with any wired system. Any good installer will have no issues connecting up these sensors. I presume that the sensors themselves have a guarantee of some sort ?

Take a look at the following systems and don't let the installer you contact for a quote change your mind.. It would usually mean they've never used the brand.

Risco lightsys hybrid panel - touch screen keypad free app over LAN card
    HKC securewave hybrid panel - app available for €5 per month to cover data charges.
    Siemens SPC free app over LAN card.

The reason I'm saying " free over LAN card " is because if you use a gsm/ GPRS module you'll have to pay for data every month which could be €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Hi All,

We just renovated a house, which involved installing new sash windows. The window manufacturer asked if we wanted to avail of integrated alarm sensors to avoid having two plastic boxes screwed onto each window by the alarm company. We did so, and they are very subtle, and only visible when the window is open as they are recessed into the runner.

I just called phonewatch for a quote and they said that they will not be in a position to utilise these existing sensors.

can a wireless "sender/transponder" be attached to these, or are we now looking at either a fully wired system, or not using them?

Many Thanks

Johnny

Were the wires not run from the windows back To a central location? Is the house not wired for an alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Were the wires not run from the windows back To a central location? Is the house not wired for an alarm?

Unfortunately no, the electrician unfortunately wasn't the brightest spark (bah doom tishh.....)

The sensors in the windows were left tailed beside the frame, and by the time we realised this, it was going to cost a fortune in plastering and decorating to chase the cabling (he also left all of the cat5 unterminated in the central location and put rj11 sockets instead of rj45 in the rooms... I could go on!!)

Thats why I was wondering if it is possible for an existing sensor to have some description of a wireless sender attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I think the best way to go is a HKC 10/70 panel, I suppose that the units already in the windows are contacts, therefore the wires can be terminated in the HKC wireless units which will need to be fitted wherever those cables appear.

Now the one thing I wonder is this, those detectors as fitted, do they comply with EN50131 ? You had better ask your window provider that question because if not then this will have implications for the entire system complying with that standard which is vital for certification for insurance and Garda response.

Assuming they are then great, but only having contacts on your windows is only half a job because these will not detect the glass being smashed etc.
    You might have to consider perhaps beams in a few of your rooms, but your best bet is to have a chat with a few reputable PSA licenced installers in your own area. Unfortunately in these situations Phonewatch are amateurs, any installer can set you up for monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

I think you're right.... best to get an expert in, still, it pays to do a bit of research ahead of time!!

before reading up on here I had no idea the phonewatch model was such a swizz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I think you're right.... best to get an expert in, still, it pays to do a bit of research ahead of time!!

before reading up on here I had no idea the phonewatch model was such a swizz!

I bet you had that thought that they were the 'be all and end all.'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Joeroc

Hi All,

Many Thanks

Johnny
    Hi Johnny with phone watch it is a wireless system which means birds etc can't set if alarm but your windows are cover by heat and motion sensors can get u a cost price phonewatch install if u want one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Joeroc wrote: »
    Hi Johnny with phone watch it is a wireless system which means birds etc can't set if alarm but your windows are cover by heat and motion sensors can get u a cost price phonewatch install if u want one

It's actually a terrible security system. No perimeter protection means the burglar needs to be already inside the premises before the alarm activates.

Any decent installer will always recommend shock sensors on the windows/doors with contacts on the openings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Joeroc

It's actually a terrible security system. No perimeter protection means the burglar needs to be already inside the premises before the alarm activates.

Any decent installer will always recommend shock sensors on the windows/doors with contacts on the openings.

Window contacts are a thing of the past because thieves bang on them to set off the alarm then sit back to see if alarm is monitored properly also birds etc set them off motion detectors detect the intruder attempting gain entrance and get a visual record of this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Joeroc wrote: »
    Window contacts are a thing of the past because thieves bang on them to set off the alarm then sit back to see if alarm is monitored properly also birds etc set them off motion detectors detect the intruder attempting gain entrance and get a visual record of this

Don't mean to sound harsh but you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Don't know if you're a troll or not as everything you have posted is completely wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement