Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my phone work abroad

Options
  • 27-07-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a basic vodafone smart 3 smartphone, will this work in the USA?

The phone like most other modern smartphones has 3G connectivity.

My understanding is that only triband or quadband phones will only work in US to call home, but I can't find any phones on the vodafone webiste that list triband or quadband.

They are all either 3G or 4G.

I looked up the settings on my phone and the only options are wcdma or GSM or wcdma / gsm auto which is what is selected.

Can someone tell me more?, if all 3G smartphones will work and where they will not work?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Probably best posting in the mobile phone section as the answer is completely based on what the phone can and can't do (as you are aware).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Ponster wrote: »
    Probably best posting in the mobile phone section as the answer is completely based on what the phone can and can't do (as you are aware).

Can you move it for me so since you are a moderator?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sorry but that's not how it works. Mods can only move the threads in the forums where they are mods, not all over the site. I flagged the thread though for the 'Abroad' mods but there's nothing stopping you from asking for this to be closed and going over to Tech > consumer electronics > mobiles and reposting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Phone should work with an AT&T or T-Mobile sim card.

You can even get a deal 60 dollars a month with T-Mobile for all you can eat Data, Calls and Texts, including international calls to landlines...without international it's 50.

Be warned, your phone likely will not work with 3G or 4G but will still be able to be used for Data just on Edge which is much slower...but if all you're concerned with it tweeting or putting up Facebook posts, checking e-mail..you'll be grand. I last 2 years before getting an actual American phone

Advertisement