Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbs in Wexford

Options
  • 26-07-2014 10:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Down in Wexford for a short holiday and am looking for a few climbs to extend the interest in the short spins, down in the very south east, anyone have any good climbs in the area, the steeper the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Sliabh Coillte is a nice climb. It starts directly across the road from the entrance to JFKennedy park outside Newross. Not steep though and only about 3k in lenght. Great views of MT Leinster from the top. You have to return the same way as you went up as it's a cul de sac.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sliabh Coillte is great, and Forth Mountain which you know. I used to live pretty much exactly on Forth Mountain, and there's three or four different sides you can go up. Worth just nosing around all the small roads on the hill, it's a lovely spot for cycling. There really isn't many other big climbs in the south of the county.

If you're going along the N11 near Ferrycarrig, there's a nice steep but quite short climb, with two hairpins if I remember correctly! Just take the left turn off the N11 right beside the bridge, and you'll pass a narrow little road that just goes straight up off the road. Worth a nose around.

Nearer the town, there's Whiterock hill in Bishopswater, and then the climb up behind Tesco and past the golf club is good for testing yourself on strava.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If you mean this weekend, pm me, I'll be around Forth Mountain tomorrow for a spin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you mean this weekend, pm me, I'll be around Forth Mountain tomorrow for a spin

Alas 3g down here is poor but I won't be out till the weekdays. Thanks for the offer.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

CramCycle wrote: »
    Alas 3g down here is poor but I won't be out till the weekdays. Thanks for the offer.

Of you're out early in the mornings I know some of the places mentioned here and would be out myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

+1 to forth mountain and sliabh coillte. The latter is about 7% average gradient over approx 3km. Can be very effective if done as repeats with the descent to recover.

After that theres a few drags. One coming out of new ross heading for wexford is a a good one to try to power up.

For any really decent stuff you are talking about mt leinster from any of a number of approaches.

Advertisement