Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit for buying parents house

Options
  • 26-07-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hi.

We have been saving to show the banks our saving ability which is fine.

We need €44k for an 80% mortgage but have had to use some of the money to lend to another family member. The money won't be paid back until after we can draw down the mortgage to buy parents house.

My parents have expressed that they will not need the 44k paid to them on exchange of the contracts however I'm wondering do the banks need to see the 44k in our account before we are drawing down?

We have sold our own house with some profit

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bank will absolutely require seeing it plus enough to cover legal fees and stamp duty. Touching the savings in any way, even lending to be repaid, will go against you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

MYOB wrote: »
    The bank will absolutely require seeing it plus enough to cover legal fees and stamp duty. Touching the savings in any way, even lending to be repaid, will go against you too.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The money lent will actually be from the profit of the sale of the house. The savings are seperate and will not be touched, however the savings do not add up to 44k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The money lent will actually be from the profit of the sale of the house. The savings are seperate and will not be touched, however the savings do not add up to 44k

When we were approved recently the bank wanted proof of sufficient funding and also a surplus to cover legal fees, stamp duty etc

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

In this situation the bank is going to want to see at least 50k+ liquid for solicitor fees, stamp duty, surveys etc.

Is there a reason why the deposit has to be 20%? Most banks will mortgage out with 10% or even 8% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Eldarion wrote: »
    In this situation the bank is going to want to see at least 50k+ liquid for solicitor fees, stamp duty, surveys etc.

Is there a reason why the deposit has to be 20%? Most banks will mortgage out with 10% or even 8% deposit.

We're hoping to get a lower interest rate based on this and keep our repayments lower. Can a lump sum gift from a parent work in this situation? We will be able to show the banks our ability to save and repay, however we just won't have enough until we get the amount back that we lent to another family member. Bit of a catch 22 situation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A non repayable gift is normally OK once you still have a substantial deposit to begin with. But you'll need it up front, not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

The bank will need a letter signed by your folks to say its not a repayable loan and that they'll have no interest in the house.

We did it. Very common and not an issue...

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I must say I'm ever so slightly confused by this situation, so please forgive my stupid questions while I try get my head around this.

You've agreed to purchase your parents house.
    You had 44K saved as a deposit but gave some of that money to a relative as a loan.
    This money won't be paid back before the contracts are signed.

So stupid question time......
    Why can you not delay the purchase until after the monies are repaid?
    Why can you not amend the purchase price so that you don't need the full 44K?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

We're hoping to get a lower interest rate based on this and keep our repayments lower. Can a lump sum gift from a parent work in this situation? We will be able to show the banks our ability to save and repay, however we just won't have enough until we get the amount back that we lent to another family member. Bit of a catch 22 situation
    If I understand correctly you are going to buy a house from your parents - any chance they could put lower selling price for the property - You will have to pay less money in interests as you will need lower mortgage and pay rest of agreed amount directly to your parents in monthly installments?

answering your question - yes
    I bought a house few years ago in Dublin and my parents who live abroad topped up my savings and followed this with a letter stating that those money are a gift and they won't be seeking refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

GavMan wrote: »
    The bank will need a letter signed by your folks to say its not a repayable loan and that they'll have no interest in the house.

We did it. Very common and not an issue...

Yep, did the same too & had no issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement