Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling Help!

• 26-07-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am trying to drill into a brick pillar but it's taking forever. I'm using the Black and Decker 500W Percussion Hammer Drill

and Bosch masonry drill bits. But the silvery covering on the bits (carbide?) wears off after a couple of holes and things slow down dramatically.
    I'm using the hammer setting, turning in right direction. I'm also pushing quite hard on the drill as it seems to be the only way to progress. I'm also dipping tips in water to cool them, is this a bad idea?

Maybe the drill (500W) isnt strong enough?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cliffage wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am trying to drill into a brick pillar but it's taking forever. I'm using the Black and Decker 500W Percussion Hammer Drill

and Bosch masonry drill bits. But the silvery covering on the bits (carbide?) wears off after a couple of holes and things slow down dramatically.
    I'm using the hammer setting, turning in right direction. I'm also pushing quite hard on the drill as it seems to be the only way to progress. I'm also dipping tips in water to cool them, is this a bad idea?

Maybe the drill (500W) isnt strong enough?

Thanks for your help

What size holes are u drilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What size holes are u drilling?

12, started using smaller bit and widening with the bigger bits but wasn't much use as the smaller bits got blunt too! hole is about 1.5 inch depth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Not being smart, but, are you sure you're drill is not going in reverse?
    There should be no problem drilling brick, especially if you're using smaller bits to start.
    Can you put up a pic of the bits before and after?

Should be no need to push hard on a masonry bit. It should go in with a slight pressure using it's own hammer action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What is the model number of the Drill?
    Is it an SDS unit or standard hammer action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If its an old pillar their might be steel supports with poured concrete. They had to use a digger with jackhammer attachment for ours and rven then it took a good while to root out. Ask a neighbour who might have gotten a driveway in or pillar moved.
    They dont build em like they used to :)

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    Not being smart, but, are you sure you're drill is not going in reverse?
    yep spinning right way
    red sean wrote: »
    Can you put up a pic of the bits before and after?
    Don't have before but they are shiny Bosch Masonry bits, dont think I'm allowed to put up pics yet. The silver coating removes from the arrow end revealing darker metal underneath

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What is the model number of the Drill?
    Is it an SDS unit or standard hammer action?

KR504CRESK model, don't think it's SDS

Armelodie wrote: »
    If its an old pillar their might be steel supports with poured concrete. They had to use a digger with jackhammer attachment for ours and rven then it took a good while to root out. Ask a neighbour who might have gotten a driveway in or pillar moved.
    They dont build em like they used to :)

seems to be just regular small red bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Is the hammer action on for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

seems to be just regular small red bricks.

Are you pushing the drill constantly or withdrawing back every two or three seconds?....hope that doesnt sound too rude....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Are you sure they're masonry drill bits and not drill bits for steel ? masonry drill bits will have like a winged tip at the end whereas drill bits for metal will be flush the whole way down.

Also if your drill holds HSS drill bits (chuck key), you might be using an SDS drill bit instead. these have like a channel going up the side of them that sits into the drill that would hold a small ball bearing bit.

If its neither of these I'd say its down to the drill. either a bushing or a bearing has failed inside

Odelay wrote: »
    Are you pushing the drill constantly or withdrawing back every two or three seconds?....hope that doesnt sound too rude....

would withdraw after a few seconds, dip the bit in water, blow out the dust and repeat

hope that doesnt sound too rude :D

Also if your drill holds HSS drill bits (chuck key), you might be using an SDS drill bit instead. these have like a channel going up the side of them that sits into the drill that would hold a small ball bearing bit.
    it's a keyless chuck
    If its neither of these I'd say its down to the drill. either a bushing or a bearing has failed inside

Would the drill still be spinning if this was the case? the drill seems to be operating as normal, no funny noises or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

there shouldn't be a need to dip it in water. you'd only do this when drilling into metal.

the drill may be spinning but there might not be enough speed or revolutions being generated

Sounds like they're not masonry bits.

Do they look like this:
    http://b2bimg.bridgat.com/files/Masonry_Drill_Bits_U_Flute.jpg

or this:
    http://images.speedyservices.com/ProductImages/c0218375_makita_d-09709.jpg.ashx?width=1200&height=900&bgcolor=ffffff&scale=both

Note the difference in tips, top one is masonry and the bottom one is for steel.

there shouldn't be a need to dip it in water. you'd only do this when drilling into metal.

the drill may be spinning but there might not be enough speed or revolutions being generated

Cheers will open it up and check it out. Someone suggested it could be the extension cord I'm using, is that likely?

Cheers will open it up and check it out. Someone suggested it could be the extension cord I'm using, is that likely?
    No. Unless you're using a very long cord causing volt drop in the cable. how long is the lead?
    Have a look at the bits I posted earlier, I still think it's most likely the wrong bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

If your'e trying to drill engineering bricks you might need an SDS drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

policarp wrote: »
    If your'e trying to drill engineering bricks you might need an SDS drill.

Ya, my bet is on the pillar being funny rather than the drill. How old is the house op?.

Any chance of a photo of drill bits and pillar?..

Maybe try a completely different part of the pillar. Have you just tried the one place so far?

This is a mystery....

A prize of a packet of jaffa cakes to the first boardsie who gets the solution....

Hey guys, problem solved! I opened up the drill, turned out the switch to go to hammer action was faulty. Easy to fix, though it took mw an age to reassemble the drill cos a spring kept jumping out of place. Anyway all sorted now :D
    thanks for all the help,

• Advertisement
Advertisement