Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outside camera - any good?

Options
  • 26-07-2014 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have been asked to find a basic cctv for someone who lives alone

Is this of any use for someone looking for basic cctv?

If not what would be good they can buy and get someone to install. And what qualificaton does the insatller need now? Could an electrician install a cctv camer? i assume you just wire it to the box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

That is not much use to someone if they hear a noise outside and want to look at the camera image......There isn't one, if it is detecting the motion then it is all been recorded at the camera.

You would need to be very selective as to where this camera is positioned, this is a windy country and a lot of things move in a breeze and that to a camera is motion.

Why not get a few local installers out to have a chat with them, at least you will get a professional opinion there on site.
    There is no issue with electricians wiring for CCTV but in order for someone to actually fit the system then they have to have a PSA licence. If they do not then you and they could be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

kub wrote: »
    That is not much use to someone if they hear a noise outside and want to look at the camera image......There isn't one, if it is detecting the motion then it is all been recorded at the camera.

You would need to be very selective as to where this camera is positioned, this is a windy country and a lot of things move in a breeze and that to a camera is motion.

Why not get a few local installers out to have a chat with them, at least you will get a professional opinion there on site.
    There is no issue with electricians wiring for CCTV but in order for someone to actually fit the system then they have to have a PSA licence. If they do not then you and they could be prosecuted.
    Thanks
    what is the difference between wiring it and installing it. There would not be much installing in one camera would there?

GoodLord wrote: »
    Thanks
    what is the difference between wiring it and installing it. There would not be much installing in one camera would there?

The camera which you have linked to does not require any wiring, also consider that it is am individual unit as opposed to a system.

What I am referring to is a professional CCTV system, the rules are that they can be wired by someone who knows how but in order for someone to actually fit the cameras, install the DVR, monitor etc and program it, then they have to have a PSA licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

No there's very little wiring when it comes to cctv.
    You can install it yourself once you are not paid for the installation/connecting of the actual camera.. You could Make some money off the installation of the cables and you won't be breaking the law.
    If you are to employ someone to fit the cameras and DVR then they sadly need a PSA license.
    Requiring a license to fit a monitor is up for debate.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    No there's very little wiring when it comes to cctv.
    You can install it yourself once you are not paid for the installation/connecting of the actual camera.. You could Make some money off the installation of the cables and you won't be breaking the law.
    OK it is for a friend so ni would be gettinga n electrician as i could not do it

• Advertisement

The camera which you have linked to does not require any wiring, also consider that it is am individual unit as opposed to a system.

What I am referring to is a professional CCTV system, the rules are that they can be wired by someone who knows how but in order for someone to actually fit the cameras, install the DVR, monitor etc and program it, then they have to have a PSA licence.
    ok person does not want a system just a camera. would this be any good
    They want to be able to see the images on a monitor. if this is no good could you link a single one under say 100 euro? Thanks

OK it is for a friend so ni would be gettinga n electrician as i could not do it

Well the electrician would need a license if he is to charge for the installation of the camera/DVR but he can charge away for the installation of cables/spurs Ect

They want to be able to see the images on a monitor. if this is no good could you link a single one under say 100 euro? Thanks

Where's the camera for? Over the front door ? To view the front garden?
    Call into eyespy cctv in Ballymount. They've a great selection of gear.

Where's the camera for? Over the front door ? To view the front garden?
    Call into eyespy cctv in Ballymount. They've a great selection of gear.
    front garden approach to door

That is a camera on its own , in order to record it you need a digital video recorder and in order to view it you need a monitor.
    That camera is fine as you can adjust the field of view on it as it is verification unit which is ideal.

• Advertisement

That is a camera on its own , in order to record it you need a digital video recorder and in order to view it you need a monitor.
    That camera is fine as you can adjust the field of view on it as it is verification unit which is ideal.
    Ok thanks. They have a monitor and a dvr. So the camera is OK. What is a verification unit? Would the images be reasonably ok 1.3 mega pixel?

It says free power adaptor. Does that go inside?

The electrician can be paid to wire it and i can connect it so long as i do not get paid?

Ok thanks. They have a monitor and a dvr. So the camera is OK. What is a verification unit? Would the images be reasonably ok 1.3 mega pixel?

It says free power adaptor. Does that go inside?

The electrician can be paid to wire it and i can connect it so long as i do not get paid?

Verification means that the auto correct on my phone altered the word it should be varifocal sorry about that. It means that you can zoom the lens into a particular area of the field of view while setting it up.
    Yes the power supply unit should be indoors and your legalities regarding the wiring and fitting is correct.
    I will have to get back to you on the spec of that camera though.

Verification means that the auto correct on my phone altered the word it should be varifocal sorry about that. It means that you can zoom the lens into a particular area of the field of view while setting it up.
    Yes the power supply unit should be indoors and your legalities regarding the wiring and fitting is correct.
    I will have to get back to you on the spec of that camera though.
    lol no problem. Can the field of view be changed in future?Thanks

lol no problem. Can the field of view be changed in future?Thanks

Yes it can very easily

Give a ring around to suppliers. I wouldn't chance buying anything online.
    You also mentioned a 1.3 megapixel camera so I'm assuming your using IP cameras. You'll need an NVR not a DVR if this is the case.

Give a ring around to suppliers. I wouldn't chance buying anything online.
    You also mentioned a 1.3 megapixel camera so I'm assuming your using IP cameras. You'll need an NVR not a DVR if this is the case.
    no just wondered if that 1.3 mp would be good image. online shoppers have legal rights. Re NVR -i am not sure that camera can encode process and stream the video

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no just wondered if that 1.3 mp would be good image. online shoppers have legal rights. Re NVR -i am not sure that camera can encode process and stream the video
    if you are looking for a regular CCTV camera, it will be wired directly to a DVR to record the video.

if you have An IP camera (i.e. one that works over a wired or wireless network like a computer or laptop) then you need an NVR as the camera will be connected indirectly to it using the existing wifi or wired network in the house, which a DVR cannot do.

so, an old fashioned coax CCTV camera + DVR OR newer IP CCTV camera + NVR.

if they have a wifi enabled smartphone then i'd recommend the latter, but if it's for an older person who is likely to be less technical or someone without wireless internet access, then i'd say go old skool with a cctv+dvr.

with a dvr, you need to think about where it's going to go, no good having it by the front door if they are worried about someone breaking in as they're not going to feel safe standing at the door to look at the monitor, so wiring is going to be a consideration as to where it will go.

if it's an IP cam and NVR then it can go anywhere it's handy and they can view it on their phone from anywhere they like in the house.

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you are looking for a regular CCTV camera, it will be wired directly to a DVR to record the video.

if you have An IP camera (i.e. one that works over a wired or wireless network like a computer or laptop) then you need an NVR as the camera will be connected indirectly to it using the existing wifi or wired network in the house, which a DVR cannot do.

so, an old fashioned coax CCTV camera + DVR OR newer IP CCTV camera + NVR.

if they have a wifi enabled smartphone then i'd recommend the latter, but if it's for an older person who is likely to be less technical or someone without wireless internet access, then i'd say go old skool with a cctv+dvr.

with a dvr, you need to think about where it's going to go, no good having it by the front door if they are worried about someone breaking in as they're not going to feel safe standing at the door to look at the monitor, so wiring is going to be a consideration as to where it will go.

if it's an IP cam and NVR then it can go anywhere it's handy and they can view it on their phone from anywhere they like in the house.
    http://www.equicom.ie/black-varifocal-antivandal-dome-camera-839-p.asp not an ip camera is it?

http://www.equicom.ie/night-vision-dome-ip-camera-1087-p.asp says you ca set to record to pc. " Once connected to your broadband router you will have full use & function of this Hd Ip camera. You can view it live on your pc or mobile, worldwide. As well as live view you can set it to record footage of motion detected by the camera onto your pc" is an nvr needed for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http://www.equicom.ie/black-varifocal-antivandal-dome-camera-839-p.asp not an ip camera is it?

http://www.equicom.ie/night-vision-dome-ip-camera-1087-p.asp says you ca set to record to pc. " Once connected to your broadband router you will have full use & function of this Hd Ip camera. You can view it live on your pc or mobile, worldwide. As well as live view you can set it to record footage of motion detected by the camera onto your pc" is an nvr needed for this?

Yep, pretty much.

You can use a PC as an NVR but it needs to be on 24/7 for that to work.

Another option is, to save having an NVR at all, rather than recording video 24/7, you can get it to save just motion detected content when it "sees" something moving and either save it locally (some have an sd card slot) or online, or get it to email snapshots to you.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    Yep, pretty much.

Another option is, to save having an NVR at all, rather than recording video 24/7, you can get it to save just motion detected content when it "sees" something moving and either save it locally (some have an sd card slot) or online, or get it to email snapshots to you.
    what about this
    http://www.equicom.ie/tv--computer-receiver-recorder-57-p.asp
    Is nvr needed with this
    needs a usb tuner?

Advertisement