Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed

Options
  • 26-07-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

First time poster and I'm hoping for some opinions. Last week I went to my Giant LBS and I got measured for the Giant Defy Composite 1 (unfortunately as a new user I cannot post link to bike).

I needed the small frame and I was informed it needed to be ordered from the UK and that I should have it this week. After speaking with the Giant LBS yesterday I was told that they hadn't the bike in my size but instead they would offer me a Giant Defy Advanced 2 for the same price instead but it will also need to be ordered from the UK so it will be next week before I get it.

I am only beginning but I'm planning on training in order to participate in several Sportives in the next 12 months. My question is the Defy Composite 1 comes with the Ultegra 6800 groupset while the Defy Advanced 2 come with the 105 groupset.

Is this a good deal? Will I miss the extra gear I'd get with the Ultagra 6800?. As I said I'm only a beginner but I'm investing in a bike that I hope will do me for a few years to come.

Apologies for the long post. All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there a difference in weight, other finishing kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭danap

godtabh wrote: »
    Is there a difference in weight, other finishing kit?

The Defy Advanced 2 carbon fibre is made of "better" quality, superior wheels, better saddle, also comes with RideSense which allows any Ant+ device to be used with the bike. Since I'm only taking up cycling would I be better off with the Ultragra 6800 I would have got with the Defy Composite 1 than the 105 groupset I'll get with the Defy Advanced 2. I know the Ultragra 6800 is superior to the 105 groupset but would this difference be noticeable to a novice cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd go with the better frame, you can always upgrade the groupset later if needed. 105 is a very decent group and will work perfectly for you. The lack of the extra gear won't make a big difference, 20 is still alot of gears.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'd go with the better frame, you can always upgrade the groupset later if needed. 105 is a very decent group and will work perfectly for you. The lack of the extra gear won't make a big difference, 20 is still alot of gears.

Thanks Inquitus. Useful information for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

the composite 1 also has ridesence but as the guys has advised id also take whats on offer,the wheel upgrade on it own would sway me,the 105 group set is spot on and the colour of the bike is ok

• Advertisement

minterno wrote: »
    the composite 1 also has ridesence but as the guys has advised id also take whats on offer,the wheel upgrade on it own would sway me,the 105 group set is spot on and the colour of the bike is ok

Thanks minterno.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd go with the better frame every time.

You can replace the group set piece by piece over time.

Advertisement