Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupation Help

Options
  • 26-07-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Can anyone make out the "occupation" for Margaret Meehan (daughter aged 25) in the 1901 census record for the Meehan household, House 35 Old Mill Street, Ennis Urban No 2, Co Clare

/1901/Clare/Ennis_No__2_Urban/Old_Mill_Street/1069775/

Apparently I can't post images or URLs any more as I don't have enough posts.

Thanks
    Vic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Is the darker writing just a scribble to cross out what is underneath?

Underneath - could it be "employed at home"? which the enumerator had second thoughts about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never seen something scribbled out like that before on the census. I see the letters "pl a? y" and a T underneath. Lottpaul's guess is good.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Thanks lottpaul - I can make out where you see 'employed at home'...
    Thanks pinkypinky - I've never seen anything scribbled out like that - usually it's a line through it to make it easy to work out... That said - a couple of pages on (house 37) there's another line scribbled out... Looks like a daughter, Margaret... I'd wonder was she not there on the day or something... as it looks like the enumerator got part way across filling out the form, then scribbled it out - the occupation only has 'ge' in it... Must be a quirk of that enumerator...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I definitely can see 'employed at home'. The word 'at' was left out originally but was inserted a little above and between the other two words.

Advertisement