Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgrove or Merville, yet again.

Options
  • 26-07-2014 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

So I'm planning on going to UCD this September as a 1st year but I;m wondering which accommodation will be better. I'm not the most familiar with Dublin beyond the city centre as I am a country girl, Kells actually.
    I'm just wondering which place is considered better. I've heard Belgrave has a good social environment (ie multiple parties) but Merville has bigger rooms and a Centra. Also I'm planning on studying Science if that makes a difference. Or should I be thinking of somewhere else. Any help is appreciated at 2:30am. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

bales wrote: »
    So I'm planning on going to UCD this September as a 1st year but I;m wondering which accommodation will be better. I'm not the most familiar with Dublin beyond the city centre as I am a country girl, Kells actually.
    I'm just wondering which place is considered better. I've heard Belgrave has a good social environment (ie multiple parties) but Merville has bigger rooms and a Centra. Also I'm planning on studying Science if that makes a difference. Or should I be thinking of somewhere else. Any help is appreciated at 2:30am. :)

Merville closer to campus and you'll be glad of the shop being so near trust me. Try to get into houses 1-10 if you can they're nearest to the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bales

chinacup wrote: »
    Merville closer to campus and you'll be glad of the shop being so near trust me. Try to get into houses 1-10 if you can they're nearest to the shop.

The map shows Belgrove being a shorter distance to walk to the campus but is Centra really worth the extra few minutes? :)

The map shows Belgrove being a shorter distance to walk to the campus but is Centra really worth the extra few minutes? :)

Its not I lived there last year, at least not the part I stayed in. They're both much of a muchness really because it depends what part you get into and yes I think you'll be glad of the shop being near when you run out of milk at inopportune moments and want to get alcohol / late night snacks and don't feel like the trek in the rain. Its also nearer to the main bus stops which is handy for trekking luggage on weekends. Belgrove is also ridiculously easy to sneak into, merville not so much so you won't be missing any parties. But its up to yourself I'm just going on my experience of staying there! What will you be studying?

If you're studying Science Belgrove might be nearer but again it depends which part of either residence you get into. Try and get into houses 1-10 if you can and if worse comes to worse you can always get a bike to make up the difference. Its one thing I wish I'd gotten when I was there, so handy for getting around!

Merville does seem like the nicer option and I probably wouldn't mind having to walk a little farther or getting my bike up there. Should I bother considering the other ones like Glenomena or is it mainly last year/postgrad staying there? Are the first years mainly between Belgrove and Merville?

• Advertisement

Merville does seem like the nicer option and I probably wouldn't mind having to walk a little farther or getting my bike up there. Should I bother considering the other ones like Glenomena or is it mainly last year/postgrad staying there? Are the first years mainly between Belgrove and Merville?

Ya definitely only merville or belgrove! (:

Okay, Merville it is then hopefully
    Just one last question. Or two.
    Do you physically chose which apartment you want to stay in online?
    Are they mixed sex or single?
    Are the years mixed or are all the freshers kept together?
    Okay that was three.

Okay, Merville it is then hopefully
    Just one last question. Or two.
    Do you physically chose which apartment you want to stay in online?
    Are they mixed sex or single?
    Are the years mixed or are all the freshers kept together?
    Okay that was three.

I can't remember but you can contact res or student info by email from the ucd website. I got landed in Blackrock but managed to get moved into merville right near the shop when I told them I have asthma! Get to know people and find out where the spare rooms are if u don't get a room you want! I presume you've put your name on the res list?

I got up a 7 in the morning to put my name on that stupid list. I'm 400 and something so I think I'll be okay. I'll email them then and find out. Thanks for the help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 conroyxoxo

Merville is definitely the best - but last year it went so fast, within five minutes of offers being sent out, so being quick is important. When you get an offer you click on the link which sends you to sisweb and on that page you are shown every available building/apartment/room number left. You can check who else has selected the room before booking it but its doubtful anyone will have the chance to do that without risking getting a place. My recommendation would be to go for the tops floors if you are lucky enough to have a choice where you live - in merville and belgrove that would be apartments 5&6. Also I lived in glenomena last year and to be honest it's a better choice than belgrove as it is connected to merville (which trust me you will appreciate if you know people living in either or) and it isn't just full of older students (I was a first year and my room-mates were in first,second and third year). If you were to pick there, beware that the top apartments are not 5&6 but 10,11 & 12.

If you're looking to make new friends and have a bit of craic, you can't go wrong with any of those 3 - roebuck halls isn't bad either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement