Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just upgraded a few parts. freezes at starting windows and reboots

Options
  • 26-07-2014 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. Ive recently asked your help with ordering new parts for an upgrade and it went well thanks to you all.

Now I'm here again asking about another problem. Ive just installed everything earlier and when I boot it up, it freezes at the exact moment everytime and it reboots. I tried resitting the new ram and unplugging the other hard drives and it still does the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Hey everyone. Ive recently asked your help with ordering new parts for an upgrade and it went well thanks to you all.

Now I'm here again asking about another problem. Ive just installed everything earlier and when I boot it up, it freezes at the exact moment everytime and it reboots. I tried resitting the new ram and unplugging the other hard drives and it still does the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Did you reinstall windows? Most likley cause if you installed new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Is the ram in the correct slots? Motherboard manual should identify which slots to fit it in and also make sure there matching pairs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Clear CMOS.

Motherboard dependant, it may have a small button or an old fashioned jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Did you reinstall windows? Most likley cause if you installed new hardware.

Didnt reinstall. Do i need to when upgrasing hardware?

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Is the ram in the correct slots? Motherboard manual should identify which slots to fit it in and also make sure there matching pairs

Yes definitely checked this

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Clear CMOS.

Motherboard dependant, it may have a small button or an old fashioned jumper.

Ill try this when I get home. Thanks.

A friend did tell me that i should reinstall windows. He said that he's about 90 percent sure that this is my problem. Something about windows 7 not liking new hardware, etc.

Kinda makes sense in my head. Is this in any way correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

A friend did tell me that i should reinstall windows. He said that he's about 90 percent sure that this is my problem. Something about windows 7 not liking new hardware, etc.

Kinda makes sense in my head. Is this in any way correct?

Yea only way unfortunately as windows saves the drivers of the old system. Its like putting the old hard drive into a friends system and expecting it to work. Have you tried a live cd/usb like ubuntu to see if that works? What parts did you upgrade? Motherboard might need an. Update as well.

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Yea only way unfortunately as windows saves the drivers of the old system. Its like putting the old hard drive into a friends system and expecting it to work. Have you tried a live cd/usb like ubuntu to see if that works? What parts did you upgrade? Motherboard might need an. Update as well.

Alright. I understand. Mobo, cpu, ram, psu, ssd. Im gonna be buying a new os and install it on the ssd. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You sure do. This caught me recently too :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

typically only when the motherboard changes (in my experience)

dont need to when adding a hard drive, more ram, or swapping graphics cards etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It can be doable even if you are changing almost everything, but you would have had to have uninstalled every single hardware specific driver etc beforehand on the old pc and even then there are no guarantees that windows will successfully reconfigure itself on the new hardware. I did manage to get an AM3 install working on an 1156 build last year but it was a right pain altogether, a clean install really is the way to go every time unless you really, really have no other choice.

marco_polo wrote: »
    It can be doable even if you are changing almost everything, but you would have had to have uninstalled every single hardware specific driver etc beforehand on the old pc and even then there are no guarantees that windows will successfully reconfigure itself on the new hardware. I did manage to get an AM3 install working on an 1156 build last year but it was a right pain altogether, a clean install really is the way to go every time unless you really, really have no other choice.

Got everything working earlier. New install was the solution. Thanks a lot guys :).

Advertisement