Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend's landlord accuses her of owing rents

Options
  • 26-07-2014 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My friend has been living in the same house for more or less 6 years and has always paid her rent. Around 2 weeks ago, her landlord sent her a letter from the US (he lives there) asking for 1200euro that he said she owes him. My friend send him an email saying that she owe him nothing and can prove with all the bank slips. She is now waiting for his reply.

Here are the questions:
    1. what if my friend shows all bank slips but her landlord still doesn't give up?
    2. what can my friend do to protect her right as a tenant?
    3. if she decides to move out because of this case, can she get back her deposit?
    4. The fridge in the house has broken for weeks but her landlord still hasn't had it fixed or replaced, she then bought a small fridge for temporary use, can she do something about it? for example file a complaint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How dies your friend pay the rent?
    If it's directly to the landlord she must withhold the VAT content ad pay directly to revenue.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section21

You friend can help our economy while teaching the landlord a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If she is paying through the bank then she has a trail and he can do nothing. Does she have a lease stating the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

She pays through the bank every month. I think she told me that she has no contract at the moment, will it be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No, if its been x amount for a long time and theres no written proof of a rent increase then x will be seen as the rent and any attempts at eviction would be illegal. She should be keeping 20% of the rent for revenue, could this be where he thinks he isnt getting the full rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Does she pay by standing order or does she lodge the money in the bank each month(you mention pay slips)?

If it's SO on the same date each month, then LL may be mistaken and it will be easy to prove. On the other hand if your friend is lodging the money then a day late here and there, a week late because he/she was away etc etc over 6 years and suddenly instead of 72 payments there might be only 69, that on the other hand will be easy for the LL to prove if rent was paid into the same account over the 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ted1 wrote: »
    How dies your friend pay the rent?
    If it's directly to the landlord she must withhold the VAT content ad pay directly to revenue.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section21

You friend can help our economy while teaching the landlord a lesson

Why jump on the landlord straight off the bat. The landlord thinks hé/she is owed rent and asked for sa me. If tenant proves wise so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why jump on the landlord straight off the bat. The landlord thinks hé/she is owed rent and asked for sa me. If tenant proves wise so be it.

Well legally the tenant is obliged to keep 20% and give it to the revenue. That's a fact.

My friend pays through the lodgement slip each month, she doesn't keep the 20 per cent for tax and she is sure that the landlord doesn't pay for the tax neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Is he isnt keeping revenues portion of the rent and paying the landlord the full amount, then what happens when revenue come looking for their share?
    Will the landlord have to pay it, or will the tenant have to? Who will revenue chase for it?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Dredd_J wrote: »
    Is he isnt keeping revenues portion of the rent and paying the landlord the full amount, then what happens when revenue come looking for their share?
    Will the landlord have to pay it, or will the tenant have to? Who will revenue chase for it?

From the revenues website:
    What If Your Landlord Is Not Resident In The State?

If your landlord resides outside the Republic of Ireland (the State) and you pay rent directly to them or to their bank account either in the State or abroad, you must deduct income tax at the standard rate of tax (currently 20%) from the gross rents payable.

Failure to deduct tax may leave you liable for the tax that should have been deducted.

Example

Gross Rent per month €1,000
    Deduct tax €200
    Pay to Landord €800

At the end of the year, you must give a completed pdfForm R185 (PDF, 237KB)* to your landlord to show that the tax has been accounted for to Revenue. The landlord can then claim this amount as credit on their annual Tax Return.

Where the non-resident landlord has an agent, who is resident in the State collecting the rent, you should pay the gross rent to the agent without deduction of income tax.

The agent is then chargeable to tax on the rents as Collection Agent for the landlord and is required to submit an annual tax return and account for the tax due under Self-Assessment. Leaflet IT10 - Guide to Self-Assessment provides more detailed information.

Note: The agent appointed need not be a professional person, e.g.. they can be a family member or other person prepared to take on the responsibility and who undertakes to make annual tax returns and account to Revenue for any tax due.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section18

• Advertisement

From the revenues website:

This line worries me:

"Failure to deduct tax may leave you liable for the tax that should have been deducted."

No, if its been x amount for a long time and theres no written proof of a rent increase then x will be seen as the rent and any attempts at eviction would be illegal. She should be keeping 20% of the rent for revenue, could this be where he thinks he isnt getting the full rent?

She hasn't got any notice about rent increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Kobe wrote: »
    This line worries me:

"Failure to deduct tax may leave you liable for the tax that should have been deducted."
    The Revenue would find it very difficult to impose an income tax liability on a non-resident individual so the responsibility is shifted to the tenant.

The Revenue would find it very difficult to impose an income tax liability on a non-resident individual so the responsibility is shifted to the tenant.

So she is stuck for tax on the rent now too.
    Very unlucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Easily solved really. Prove that she has paid up. Withold the amount that she's liable to pay revenue from her next rent and pay revenue. Simples.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

MugMugs wrote: »
    Easily solved really. Prove that she has paid up. Withold the amount that she's liable to pay revenue from her next rent and pay revenue. Simples.

I don't think one month of rent will cover six years of taxes though.

ted1 wrote: »
    Well legally the tenant is obliged to keep 20% and give it to the revenue. That's a fact.

And ? Maybe The tenant has underpaid.

And revenue like to punish those who dont pay the taxes in the period they are due.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Agreed. So the ops friend withholds the amount owed for as long as is needed. As for revenue pursuing the ops friend for interest im sure a deal can be cut. They're not the Bastards people like to believe they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What if you don't know where your landlord lives? My last landlord, and we're talking about 2006/07 here, I only met him twice. Once to collect the keys and then to return them a year later. I have idea where they were in the meantime and I had no idea that I had this responsibility for the landlord's tax compliance forced upon me.

• Advertisement

No Pants wrote: »
    What if you don't know where your landlord lives? My last landlord, and we're talking about 2006/07 here, I only met him twice. Once to collect the keys and then to return them a year later. I have idea where they were in the meantime and I had no idea that I had this responsibility for the landlord's tax compliance forced upon me.

yes actually my friend doesn't know where the landlord lives.

My friend will wait for the landlord's reply and then see what to do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

yes actually my friend doesn't know where the landlord lives.

Well your first post says he lives in the US so as long as your friend knows that the landlord is not resident that's all revenue will care about.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Well your first post says he lives in the US so as long as your friend knows that the landlord is not resident that's all revenue will care about.

Oh yes she knows that he's in the US but doesn't know his address.

Oh yes she knows that he's in the US but doesn't know his address.

How does she know he lives in US? Is he a full time resident there or as a lot if people do, just live there part of the year and therefore still a resident here for tax purposes? Is this his only property or does he have a registered property company portfolio based here, then 20% held for Revenue is moot.

OP, regardless of where she thinks the LL, the issue is she may not have paid all her rent owed. If she has slips/bank statements, she will be able to see how many payments are made. If on the other hand, she has been late a number of times over the years, monthly payment dates may have shifted and if may be very easy for LL to prove she owes money. It is very, very simple for him to do this, he just counts up the months your friend has been there and checks the number of monthly payments she has made on his bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

No contract, revenue issue, rent debt dispute, potential withholding of deposit...
    I'd simply leave. If a call from the revenue comes in (highly unlikely) just plead complete ignorance on knowing where landlord lived.

Please tell me they are paying into Irish bank account?
    If they are, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

If he starts harassing her for payments even tho she can prove it print them out for backup and also refusing to give her deposit back over this ,she could get a solicitor/lawyer sue him for harassment /unnecessary stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Have to echo Zamboni, I'd get out. Hold onto the next months rent, I don't usually advise this! But with him out of the country and already in dispute, there's not a chance she'll be getting the deposit back.
    Between the dispute, him being out of the state and the tax issue it's not worth the bother.

;)
    MiseryMary wrote: »
    If he starts harassing her for payments even tho she can prove it print them out for backup and also refusing to give her deposit back over this ,she could get a solicitor/lawyer sue him for harassment /unnecessary stress

All jumping the gun a bit.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    No contract, revenue issue, rent debt dispute, potential withholding of deposit...
    I'd simply leave. If a call from the revenue comes in (highly unlikely) just plead complete ignorance on knowing where landlord lived.

Please tell me they are paying into Irish bank account?
    If they are, walk away.

Whoooa there, She does not need a contract, she had Part 4 tenancy up to the fourth year which continues thereafter. She got a letter regarding rent, this is a binary issue, either she owes it or she doesn't, it is easy for both parties to prove their viewpoint. Nobody said anything about withholding a deposit, the tenant is not leaving at the moment and so far there is no proof LL lives/pays tax in another country.

OP is entitled to give notice but must show that all rent is up to date, if not, LL is absolutely entitled to retain deposit.

Advertisement