Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caterpillar type insect

Options
  • 25-07-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed a type of black and yellow caterpillar in the garden. My garden is overrun with them and they're munching on lots of stuff

I've never seen them until this year

My father in law reckons theyre attracted to the field next door thst has lots of ragwort in it

Any advice to get rid of them. They hsve literally chomped plants to nothing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Has anyone noticed a type of black and yellow caterpillar in the garden. My garden is overrun with them and they're munching on lots of stuff

I've never seen them until this year

My father in law reckons theyre attracted to the field next door thst has lots of ragwort in it

Any advice to get rid of them. They hsve literally chomped plants to nothing!

Its the cinnabar moth. No advice except to manually pick them off. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth Your FIL is probably right as ragwort is their main food source. Didn't know they ate anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks KAGY......its good to now know the name if them. They have chomped a beautiful senetti that I had in a pot. It was stunning....

Advertisement