Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If your with UPC you could save dozens of cents .

Options
  • 25-07-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

for those that dont know: support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/794/~/what-is-horizon-wi-free%3F

At first i didn't like the idea as it would add to wireless interference on my network. and i would never need it with my unlimited*** data plan.
    but if you wanted to be a right cheap feck, you could permanently turn off your modem, and just use wi-free access from a neighbour.

I dont know how much you'd save on having the modem turned off though, i reckon a euro a month at most, the pc could even end up using more juice to try and connect to a distant AP so i might not save anything.

plus theres the bad karma of leeching from your neighbour. I like to think im..lowering carbon

Any thoughts?

polls are stupid 12 votes

Ta tu an amadán
    0%
    yea
    66%
    Furzyjay-mejonosamFresh Pots_Godot_RojiblancosgluedChance The Rapper 8 votes
    tá me as mo chean
    16%
    nightster1_Godot_ 2 votes
    yore ma
    16%
    _Godot_offmeheadpal 2 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

for those that dont know: support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/794/~/what-is-horizon-wi-free%3F

At first i didn't like the idea as it would add to wireless interference on my network. and i would never need it with my unlimited*** data plan.
    but if you wanted to be a right cheap feck, you could permanently turn off your modem, and just use wi-free access from a neighbour.

I dont know how much you'd save on having the modem turned off though, i reckon a euro a month at most, the pc could even end up using more juice to try and connect to a distant AP so i might not save anything.

plus theres the bad karma of leeching from your neighbour. I like to think im..lowering carbon

Any thoughts?

You need password for usig neighbours wifi..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

This is the most retarded thing I've read in a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Turn off the wireless on your router and pc. Use ethernet and save millions* in power costs!

*of mirco-cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

yea
    The neighbour has to opt in for it too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

yea
    And the horizon WiFi free is limited to 2Mb/s

jay-me wrote: »
    The neighbour has to opt in for it too!

Even if they opt u need their password for horizon free wifi ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

yea
    tharmor wrote: »
    Even if they opt u need their password for horizon free wifi ....

No you don't, that would defeat the purpose if the service. However the plan is completely screwed, who in their right mind would be paying for a broadband subscription only to leave it off all month and connect to a network which is literally 50 times slower just to save a few cent?

No you don't, that would defeat the purpose if the service. However the plan is completely screwed, who in their right mind would be paying for a broadband subscription only to leave it off all month and connect to a network which is literally 50 times slower just to save a few cent?

No you do....check faqs...first time you connect a device u need to enter password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

tharmor wrote: »
    No you do....check faqs...first time you connect a device u need to enter password

Yes, your password. The poster said you need your neighbours password. You don't need their password. They do need to be opted in for your password to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Fair play to UPC. It's a very handy and forward-thinking idea - instead of having to ask your host for their wifi password.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

First of all the speed is limited to only 2mb/s

Second of all, you most be a UPC broadband customer yourself to sign up for it and get a password to access it.

Thirdly UPC monitor for this sort of activity. If you are constantly connected to a negihbours wifi, they will notice it and disconnect you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

computers like mobile phones use more power when the reception is poor

so the power you save on the access point is matched by the power increase of used to connect to the weaker reception of your neighbours access point.

but worse is that this means you are putting more stress on battery powered devices which will means you will wear out their batteries out sooner also the devices will run a little hotter which isn't a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I enabled this a while ago on my account but can't see the horizon service on any of my wireless devices, does it only work on the new routers? , mine is a Thomson one?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement