Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction at Holles St.

Options
  • 25-07-2014 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is almost 40 weeks, and no sign of labour coming on yet. a few have said that most hospitals will only let you go over 10 days before inducing you, how long does it take with Holles St? and say it was 14 days can you ask to be induced earlier, (41 weeks) instead of 42? We don't want to be under stress that the placenta and what not will stop working properly as can happen when you go overdue, so hoping that if she does go over it wont be longer than 7-10 days. Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know about holles street but in the rotunda at my 40 week visit I was booked in for an induction 10 days later (just in case), thanfully I didn't need it!

So she might be given a date at her next visit.
    Also it might be in their policy in the hospital brochure or website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is almost 40 weeks, and no sign of labour coming on yet. a few have said that most hospitals will only let you go over 10 days before inducing you, how long does it take with Holles St? and say it was 14 days can you ask to be induced earlier, (41 weeks) instead of 42? We don't want to be under stress that the placenta and what not will stop working properly as can happen when you go overdue, so hoping that if she does go over it wont be longer than 7-10 days. Any help appreciated :)

They told me in holles street it's 14 days :( does your girlfriend have an app on her due date? Or just after? They do a big scan upstairs to make sure placenta grand and either send you off or depending on results will give you a date etc We were told if this happens that you are overdue and have an app that we should bring in our bags. You never know the baby might make an appearance in the next few days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Millem wrote: »
    They told me in holles street it's 14 days :( does your girlfriend have an app on her due date? Or just after? They do a big scan upstairs to make sure placenta grand and either send you off or depending on results will give you a date etc We were told if this happens that you are overdue and have an app that we should bring in our bags. You never know the baby might make an appearance in the next few days :D

Not on her due date, the day before! But if we kicked up a bit of a fuss they'll do it surely? Seems pretty crap they do what they want and not what the pregnant lady wants!

Not on her due date, the day before! But if we kicked up a bit of a fuss they'll do it surely? Seems pretty crap they do what they want and not what the pregnant lady wants!

Gosh no the defo won't induce unless it's best for baby. I am not 100% sure but maybe at 6 days overdue. Tbh they kept saying in our antenatal classes that the majority of first time mums go overdue. My baby came on his due date so don't give up hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think they do whats best for the lady and the baby. Induction can be quiet difficult for the woman, it's easier if it happens naturally. Very few people deliver bang on the expected date.It's no harm to give nature a chance to do it's thing rather than putting your partner through anything more difficult or painful than it might otherwise be.

• Advertisement

I think they do whats best for the lady and the baby. Induction can be quiet difficult for the woman, it's easier if it happens naturally. Very few people deliver bang on the expected date.It's no harm to give nature a chance to do it's thing rather than putting your partner through anything more difficult or painful than it might otherwise be.

Think of it this way you have waited 40 weeks what's max 14 days? From week 36 I felt I couldn't do it anymore physically or mentally as I had hyperemesis. I remember pleading with them 4 days before my due date that if I was overdue could they induce me 10 days after due date as my OH had to go abroad for work and We didn't want him to miss the birth and and answer was only unless placenta etc wAsnt working well enough, the baby will come when it's ready blah blah Don't lose hope she might go herself! I went on my gym ball, walked loads! Midwives said to eat curry? If you google a few things will come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I was induced in Rotunda and was let go 11 days over. Had the same mini scan as usual on appointment but nothing specific to check placenta. Once baby looks happy I think theyre happy to let you go over.

I was 2cm dilated a week before I was induced and because of this they only had to break my waters and it was all go straight away so loads of sex etc. and hopefully your partner may go naturally before or will be on the road to labour by the time induction comes...best of luck:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

It is long waiting but I certainly wouldn't be kicking up a fuss to be induced as it can make things so much more painful which I am sure your partner would not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

It depends too on what type of induction she gets.
    Things can start moving immediately for some women and not for others.
    Of course they consider both baby and mother but once there and being monitored it's usually a while a waiting game.

For some it never happens like it does on TV waters break contractions happen hours later baby born!!!
    There are so many different options they try now.

So hang in there I went 40 weeks and 11 days so I know the waiting is pure torture!!
    But worth it thou!

Advertisement