Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to fix faulty Vectrex.

Options
  • 25-07-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm currently trying to fix my faulty Vectrex but need a pointer in the right direction. I've noticed there's a guru or two on here that might be able to help.

It's one of my pride and joys (along with my family's original 16K Issue One Spectrum - boxed). I bought it in 1984 as a 14 year old when Woolies were clearing them out. It worked fine for almost 20 years. Then one day 18 months ago I turned it on to show it off to my daughter's boyfriend and ... nothing. Not a peep.

All that happens is that the glass bulb at the back of the CRT starts to glow. I've taken a look at the solder connections but none appear to be cracked. Some of the soldering work doesn't look great to begin with but it's worked in that state for 20 years so who am I to argue?

There's no sound. No buzz or anything. So I doubt it's the CRT. I also have my doubts about the power board as there's obviously some power being fed to the CRT. Then again, whether it's enough or steady is another thing.

I suspect an issue on the logic board. When I opened it up the power board was clean and clear of dust. The logic board had some dust on it. But I've had working PC motherboards with far more dust on them than that. I've tried reseating the socketed chips. All seem okay.

I'm a little out of ideas as to where to start looking for the fault. We have moved house a few times in the past few years, which is why I was initially wondering about the solder or the ICs. It's also been stored in a damp and cold garage for much of the last 2 years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Irish_Flower

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My veccy worked grand until I stored it in a damp environment a few years ago - powered it on and it was borked :(

Might be the flyback, they degrade over time and suffer from shorts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If anyone has a toasted Veccy let me know, I need a controller!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SyntaxTerror

o1s1n wrote: »
    My veccy worked grand until I stored it in a damp environment a few years ago - powered it on and it was borked :(

Might be the flyback, they degrade over time and suffer from shorts.

Thanks. I did read another post where it was suggested but someone pointed out that it's likely to only drive the monitor. So I should be getting some sounds out of it.

Even so, I think it might be time for me to do a complete rebuild and refresh whatever parts I can. Anyone know what the contents of the cap kit are? I already buy most of my retro electronic parts from China (just got some Atari PAL TIAs for the 2600) so I'll just add whatever's needed to the next batch.

What's a suitable alternative to the Vectrex flyback?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If there is no sound or huming then the logic board isn't getting power or the speaker is disconnected :) Glow on the tube would mean the filament is getting power at least.

Repair guide and schematics here

http://www.playvectrex.com/shoptalk_f.htm

You can get a cap kit for here

http://console5.com/store/vectrex-cap-kit.html

Ciderman, there is someone on amibay selling a Vectrex controller at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SyntaxTerror

Thanks. I have the guide and service manual. Just wanted confirmation of my gut feeling. I guess the next step is for me to dig out one of my multimeters from the garage (if I can find one) and take a look at the power connector between the power board and the logic board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

mine got delivered in a black sack with no padding or anything, still worked fine but the casing was bashed. Some photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/safetyboy/sets/72157629667353390/ I used Sugru and UV glue to patch it up.

Advertisement