Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up fishing

Options
  • 25-07-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting into fishing but have zero experience.

What's the cheapest and minimalist kit I should be looking at

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Moved from Survivalism & Self Sufficiency, you guys are probably better placed to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Freshwater or saltwater is the first question to ask yourself really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Fresh water

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hexosan wrote: »
    Fresh water

If your wanting it cheap then wait for aldi or lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

If your wanting it cheap then wait for aldi or lidl

There's much better branded items online for the same money, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Go to a local tackle store and get details of a club in the area. Someone there will be more than glad to advise you on what works best locally. They will also pobaly take you on a session on o show you the ropes. Avoid Aldi tackle - bags, vest etc are fine but rods & reels can be got as cheaply, and with better quality, elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

I haven't done it in a few year but when I fly fished my kit was. Chest waders a creel (a wicker basket I would line it with moss and dip it in the water to keep the fish cool on a long day) my Grandad made for me when I stared fishing, Rod and reel a net and a priest (a short steel bat used to kill the fish) and a selection of flies. I had a vest with places to stick flies on and load of pockets and such but you could stick them in the brim of a hat just as easy. When I used to go spinnning pretty much the same apart from the flies I had a small tool box with my spinners and a set of forceps to remove hooks if I was on the lake and pulled out a pike. The creel could be replaced with any cooler bag the priest could be a piece of stick or a rock. A small box could be used for lures or flies I used to use an old audio tape box with a some foam glued down and stick the hooks into the foam. The waders just keep you dry often enough if I cycled to my fishing spot I would just wear shorts and old trainers. Lidl have decent deals from time to time and you can pick up some great deals online store and via adverts

And remember, today most practice catch and release!

columf wrote: »
    the priest could be a piece of stick or a rock.
    Are you advocating using a rock to kill fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

If you are catching fish and taking them home for the pan as I would have done in years past I advocate not letting the fish suffer suffocating in the air. I merely suggested that a person need not purchase a priest to end the life of the fish and gave some examples of items that may be used in lieu. If you are practicing catch and release I expect you to have a modicum of sense and not kill the fish kind of negates the whole release bit of catch and release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I don't think the fish is gonna care if it gets knocked by a priest or a rock. As long as the end result is a quick, clean death.

Years ago when I used to take the odd trout, all it took was a whack with the knuckles.

It's all C+R these days. I get more out of seeing the same fish again than I ever did eating them.

Back to the OP - Let us know the general area (county / river / lake) and you'll get plenty of advise here.
    No sense in spending much money until you know you are into it. Local shops and Adverts.ie are good for picking up cheap but serviceable gear.

I just use my knuckles. Quick clatter and fish does be no more.
    Although I wouldn't suggest doing it on a conger or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

if done the right way a rock is the exact same as a priest, the lad is only starting off buying a priest should be the least of his worries, catch one first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

Excuse my ignorance lads but what is a priest??

Excuse my ignorance lads but what is a priest??

It's a small baton type instrument used for dispatching fish. Usually it's used by striking at the back of the neck or top of its head to dispatch it.

Advertisement