Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Box Challenge

Options
  • 24-07-2014 8:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seen the article below earlier today. Thought it would be great to get a group together and have a bash at it, only to learn that it's only open to College Researchers and Students. So I'm trying to see if a group in 091 labs, Galway to get together and have a go at it.

Any thoughts on it?

http://classic.slashdot.org/story/14/07/22/2032241

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone interested in this at all. I know a lad building a Wind Turbine from scrap, so it may come in handy. It could be used to convert to AC then power a UPS system for later use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭zg3409

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone interested in this at all. I know a lad building a Wind Turbine from scrap, so it may come in handy. It could be used to convert to AC then power a UPS system for later use.

Firstly I do not think you would be applying unless you knew your design had a higher efficiency than current inverter designs. It is fairly simple to recreate current design types, but to increase the efficiency or reduce conversion losses is the real difficult part, as why has someone else not done it already.

So the rules of the contest are not the main stumbling block, but improving the efficiency of an existing design or creating a whole new method is what is needed.

Advertisement