Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best soil mix for potting on chili plants

Options
  • 24-07-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I planted some chili seeds in potting compost recently and want to put them into larger pots now.

What is the best soil mix I should use to ensure it's suited for chili plants

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Potting compost would be fine, followed by liquid tomato feed. But it is very late in the season now. They are slow growers and the light is drawing in (gulp). I doubt you will get anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

any compost will do fine, home made ,potting etc.

have you chilli on them yet mine are full of green chilli's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

iainBB wrote: »
    any compost will do fine, home made ,potting etc.

have you chilli on them yet mine are full of green chilli's.

Starting to blossom. I'd imagine the hot weather is playing havoc with plants this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I once grew sweet red peppers from seeds collected from kitchen waste.
    Each year the plant grew a few small red peppers, but very sweet and intensely flavoured

Points to note:
    1. The plant was a perennial, it came back year after year. A martyr to the greenfly but it flowered every year.
    2. You have to hand-pollinate with a little paintbrush or the flowers fall off = no fruit.

I've currently got a little chili plant, bought from Woodies, on the windowsill. Some green chillies growing on it, and the plant is amazingly similar to the sweet pepper one, even to the flowers falling!

katemarch wrote: »
    I once grew sweet red peppers from seeds collected from kitchen waste.
    Each year the plant grew a few small red peppers, but very sweet and intensely flavoured

Points to note:
    1. The plant was a perennial, it came back year after year. A martyr to the greenfly but it flowered every year.
    2. You have to hand-pollinate with a little paintbrush or the flowers fall off = no fruit.

I've currently got a little chili plant, bought from Woodies, on the windowsill. Some green chillies growing on it, and the plant is amazingly similar to the sweet pepper one, even to the flowers falling!

How would I hand pollinate? Where do I brush what?thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Use an artist brush and just tickle inside the flowers gently.

redser7 wrote: »
    Use an artist brush and just tickle inside the flowers gently.

Sound fun!

Advertisement