Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrots

Options
  • 24-07-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

small query from a novice - at least 2 of these are going to seed & maybe a few more. does this affect the taste of the carrots or their size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The ones going to seed will be tiny and tough, pull them, they are just taking nutrients from the soil for the other ones.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

Some varieties are more prone to this than others but as previous poster said pull em out and chuck in compost . They will be inedible to humans , but I give em to the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Off topic I know, but just yesterday my son (7) pulled up his first few carrots that he had grown in a pot and ate them raw. He was delighted, as was I, as I grew my first carrots in a quality street tin with mud when I was 7. They were small, as were mine.

I do not grow carrots normally as they never come right for me, so next year I would appreciate some advice to help continue his interest in growing "bigger carrots" preferably in pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Why pots? Means you will have to keep watered a lot....(especially based on a summer like this and last one)
    I just sow them at start of June when ground has warmed up, cover them with fleece and walk away for 3 months....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I grow all my plants in the pollytunnel in pots. When I tried to grow carrots outside they failed and as I did not want my sons crop to fail I encouraged him to grow them in the polytunnel. We started them off in trays.

There was no extra work in keeping his pots watered. I use trays under the pots to ensure there is always water available and a reservoir available and the trays only need filling every 3-4 days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement