Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted/share] House/houseshare that is dog friendly - Dublin / Commuter Towns

Options
  • 24-07-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I am a 27 year old working professional female looking to rent accommodation or a house share that is pet friendly.

My previous landlord ref is over 5 years and I am very neat, tidy and sociable.

I have 2 very small dogs that are both fully trained and very friendly and compatible with other dogs.

If anyone knows a property to rent that accepts pets, I would greatly appreciate getting in contact with the landlord.

Thanks, Megan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Whereabouts? What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mysticmegs27

Anywhere in the Dublin region, though would also consider commuter towns.

My budget can be flexible but obviously the more affordable, the better.

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Anywhere in the Dublin region, though would also consider commuter towns.

My budget can be flexible but obviously the more affordable, the better.

Thanks for your reply.

Daft have 67 house shares and 87 apartments/houses that have the pets allowed tag. These are all very varied prices and different areas of Dublin. Have you had a look through these yet?

Hi,

I've been looking daily and sent loads of emails but either not hearing back or getting emails stating that the property has been let!!

Hi,

I've been looking daily and sent loads of emails but either not hearing back or getting emails stating that the property has been let!!

You can set up an email alert for a specific to notify you of new properties with your requirements. The market is so stetched at the moment that the half decent places are gone very quickly. You need to be able to be in as quick.

• Advertisement

Already done that. Thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd suggest applying for the 'pets allowed' properties without mentioning the dog. If pets are allowed, you might act under the supposition that they won't be an issue.

It may be the case that if you present yourself as a tenant who asks for something specific, even something as ordinary as permission to bring your pets, a landlord will see you as a bit more demanding than all those others that are applying for the property. Daft, but that's the way it works sometimes. Apply as a single professional with good references. Get your lease. If the ad says pets are allowed, I wouldn't see any need to specify them in an initial email.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

The only way I found to rent with two dogs, was to rent the entire house myself (even if expensive) and then rent out one room.
    Of course I asked the landlord first and I asked him to write on the contract that pets were allowed (as I know of people that had issues).
    Soon I will be looking as well and I know that is not easy, might need to consider the commuting town / places not really easy on transport (I have car)
    good luck!

Thanks All.

@jsabina. I was initially looking at properties on their own, they just seem to go very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I know I probably shouldn't say this but....

If your dogs are very well trained and your finding it hard to rent a suitable property....

Could you not get away with keeping that information from the landlord?

Surely you could have someone mind them if there was a scheduled visit from the landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I think that's very dangerous.
    The landlord could find out / neighbors something..
    I know of a couple of people that had to leave the house for this reason, and it's not nice..

I used to run my own Letting Company - I always think honesty is the best policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Sorry - True!

Would you consider going to a view a property and mentioning it while your there that you have two small dogs, well behaved etc etc.

You might be ruling yourself out by giving this information prior to a viewing. I know it sounds silly, but if you viewed a place with a small garden and liked it and was ready to put a deposit down you could explain the dogs and they are your security and are trained well and maybe a LL might be more willing to accept it... you would be kinda putting them on the spot and they can only say yes or no. At least you might get a look in!!

Advertisement