Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much of a jump in distance??

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just started cycling about 2 months back and have since clocked up about 400k. This has mostly been done over short rides of 20-25k with a few 30-40k thrown in and one 50k. These have all been on hilly routes with some good climbs. I started averaging about 18-19km/h and now I am up to 23km/h.
    There's a 100k coming up at the weekend and I was just wondering if this is way too much of a jump? The 100k is relatively flat compared to my current routes and my one 50k.
    What do ye think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Do it, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Go for it. When I started cycling proper distances a few years back I took on a flat cycle to Wicklow and back (of 100km round trip) after a few weeks.
    If the 100km is reasonably flat then it's just a matter of keeping your legs spinning, they'll have the strength from your hilly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

23km is the speed a few of us are doing the 100km in trim at this weekend, the max we have done is 60Km spins a few times.
    If its Trim you are going too you are welcome to join us as the more the easier it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Pace yourself and you will be fine. I was the same with this years Ring of Kerry. My max had only been 102km and the Ring of Kerry for me was 181km (due to where I had to park the car)

I was worried, but managed fine. You will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Hi all,
    Just started cycling about 2 months back and have since clocked up about 400k. This has mostly been done over short rides of 20-25k with a few 30-40k thrown in and one 50k. These have all been on hilly routes with some good climbs. I started averaging about 18-19km/h and now I am up to 23km/h.
    There's a 100k coming up at the weekend and I was just wondering if this is way too much of a jump? The 100k is relatively flat compared to my current routes and my one 50k.
    What do ye think
    go for it, as with the other replies you will surprise yourself with how much you can actually do! happy trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Do it. Breaking the 100 km barrier is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. First time I did 100 km was the Wicklow 100 this year, having not gone further than 60 km before it. Before you know it you'll be a couple of hours into it and nearer the end than the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

Thanks for the encouragement lads, will go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

jamesd wrote: »
    23km is the speed a few of us are doing the 100km in trim at this weekend, the max we have done is 60Km spins a few times.
    If its Trim you are going too you are welcome to join us as the more the easier it will be.

Thanks for the offer but it's the duhallow 100 in cork that I'm going doing. Cheers though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Be grand. Jumped from 75 max to 175 in a day not so long ago and survived

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

You'll be grand. Eat, drink, pedal, look up the road. Rinse and repeat.

You might discover your bike setup isn't perfect. Long rides can highlight problems you wouldn't notice on short ones, especially if the weather is foul, or hot, so you might get a few niggly aches and pains. Nothing to stop you in your tracks, just stuff to sort out before you get exactly the same silly niggles again on your next long ride.

Pacing: I'd start at the back, take the first 5 km as an easy warm-up and wait until 30-40km from home to open up the throttle fully. But you have to balance how you want to pace yourself against the availability of groups to tag along with, no point ending up by yourself at the start if everybody takes off like a rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Thanks for the encouragement lads, will go for it!!

Keep the speed slow, and much slower on the hills. Don't be lured into trying to follow faster guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You'll be fine, when i started a few years ago I was doing 20 and 30km spins for a few months and then done the sligo > Letterkenny charity spin (112km) without a problem. On my own I was averaging similar to yourself around the 23kmph mark but that went up to 26kmph for the charity spin as i was in a large group as you get sucked along for most of it and so it requires a lot less effort. Bring a couple of bananas and two bottles of water/juice and have a good breakfast beforehand and you'll fly it.

Advertisement