Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

autocad/ revit pc required

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

hi

ive got around 1k to spend, not sure whats the best place to source parts etc, never built a pc before but have read on here NOT to buy a ready made off the shelf pc as there is crap parts in it.....its main use will be for autocad/ revit/ photoshop etc, no gaming as such but internet use etc....

I was gonna buy one from ebay or vibox in the uk, but that would have pushed me over the budget by up to 50% :eek:

I know i need roughly the following in it

1: 16gb ram
    2: windows 7 pro
    3: i7 or matching amd (ave been told to stay clear of amd as they can burn out after a year)
    4: 750w cpu
    5: min 120gb ssd
    6: could split 2tb harddrive and use one as a backup
    7: 3gb graphics card

not sure on the motherboard or case, but i would also like a 27" monitor,
    i have an old dell machine with a 19" monitor but its old 2005ish and has died a death really, gone real slow an not much use now :(

has anybody got any advice for me please or point me in the right direction :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

I would question the need for a 3GB graphics card unless you are doing heavy Photoshop work. Apparently Revit uses the CPU (main processor) to do all rendering work. Aside from that, the business end graphics cards are horrendously expensive compared to the consumer cards.

Look on Hardwareversand for parts. You can even order VAT free by giving them your VAT number.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

hi emmet, thanks for the reply, i have been in touch with them guys and they told me ive to pay the vat n claim it back from our own revenue, i was going tru there english branch when i asked this though....

have you built a pc for what i want to use it for? :)

mk1esc wrote: »
    hi emmet, thanks for the reply, i have been in touch with them guys and they told me ive to pay the vat n claim it back from our own revenue, i was going tru there english branch when i asked this though....

have you built a pc for what i want to use it for? :)

Call their German branch (0049 1805 711 117) and ask for someone who speaks English. You basically place the order for "cash on prepayment" (ie. not through PayPal) and while ordering you can leave a comment mentioning that you would like the VAT free price. Then when you get your request for payment by email, you reply with your order number, give them your VAT number and ask for a VAT free price. They should send you out a VAT free invoice.

I'm building a PC at the moment for AutoCAD with moving to Revit in mind down the line. I also do some Photoshop work. Not heavy rendering, just some mapping manipulation etc. I'll post my build once I get into work, it cost around €800 incl. VAT so actually paying closer to €650. That build didn't include a monitor though.

Here's my build (not including a moniter, keyboard, mouse and windows)

RAM 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport XT Series DDR3-1600, CL9 €66.45
    Case Corsair Carbide 200R mit Seitenfenster, ATX, ohne Netzteil €63.07
    PSU be quiet! PURE POWER L8 500W €59.35
    SSD Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) €89.64
    CPU Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 €208.99
    DVD LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA €12.99
    Motherboard MSI Z97 GUARD-PRO, Sockel 1150, ATX €93.44
    Card Reader RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-865 interner USB 3.0 Multikartenleser 3,5" €18.81
    Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD €29.55
    GPU AMD FirePro V4900 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM PCI Express 2.1 x16 €153.98
    Shipping €11.99
    Total €808.26

Take a look at this post to see how to get discounted prices off HWVS (you'll save about 10%) Geizhals Trick

Note I got the GPU off Dabs so you'll just need to ask them for a VAT receipt to claim the VAT back. You can also get a copy of Windows 8 off Reddit software share for about €10.

You'll probably also want an additional hard drive too by the looks of it. All my work is saved on the work server so a 256GB SSD is plenty for me (all I need it for is software).

This build is also designed to be overlocked, so if you don't want to do that, you could prob save about €90 with a cheaper motherboard, the Intel Core i5-4690 (not the 4690K) and no cooling.

Advertisement