Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB route from Three Rock to Johnny Foxes? Need loan MTB also...

Options
  • 24-07-2014 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

I have a friend coming in from abroad, so I plan to take him up Three Rock and do the MTB trails. I thought it might be nice to tour round a bit and end up at Foxes. I know I can head from Three Rock down through the forest to Kilmashogue Lane, and I know I can head from Tibradden Lane through the Pine Forest and round to Foxes.

But what about the a routing from Kilmashogue Lane across the little valley to Tibradden Lane - is there any usable path or track there that links up these two?

I see some hikers asking a similar question before, without getting a straight answer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69957811

Have any MTBers found a route or path here?

Also, I intended to rent a bike from biking.ie for my friend, but they can only rent at Ballinastoe apparently. Any ideas for other options to beg, steal or borrow a medium/large MTB over the weekend of 8/9 August?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

AFAIK it's all private land in Kelly's Glen between Kilmashogue Lane and Tibradden Lane (Mutton Lane).

Another route could be to do the Dublin Mountain's Way and all the trails in Three Rock / Ticknock and to exit out on to Ballyedmonduff Road beside the Pitch and Putt course. DMW would be quite challenging though on the uphill parts up to Tibradden Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No paths through there, as above, it's private land..

Better route would be Ticknock, Fairy Castle, over the WW to Tibradden and you come out at the Zip line place, can go left and back up the road along to Foxes pub...

As for bike rental, you can ask Biking.ie if you can take the bike for the full day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    over the WW to Tibradden and you come out at the Zip line place, can go left and back up the road along to Foxes pub...

Instead of taking the right and on to Tibradden, can't you just go straight at that point on the Wickow Way and meet the road much quicker, and closer to the pub ? http://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap2_hellfire_threerock.pdf

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Instead of taking the right and on to Tibradden, can't you just go straight at that point on the Wickow Way and meet the road much quicker, and closer to the pub ? http://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap2_hellfire_threerock.pdf

And hold on to your brakes, it's a steep rocky downhill!

Yes, instead of going right towards Tibradden(along the DMW) you can go straight down the WW to the road... though from Ticknock to that point would take less than an hour depending on your fitness level...

• Advertisement

And hold on to your brakes, it's a steep rocky downhill!

Defo requires a decent front suspension fork and good tyres! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No paths through there, as above, it's private land..

Better route would be Ticknock, Fairy Castle, over the WW to Tibradden and you come out at the Zip line place, can go left and back up the road along to Foxes pub...
    Thanks, that's a great suggestion. I'll see if i can get up this weekend to try it out, just so I don't get lost when my friend is over.

Thanks again, that would probably make it a bit too short, but good to know that option is there if we get stuck or get bad weather or whatever.
    As for bike rental, you can ask Biking.ie if you can take the bike for the full day...
    No, nothing they can do for me at Three Rock apparently. Any other options to hire or rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So, I went up Three Rock today and tried out the DMW route. Well, maybe I overstated my MTB skills, but it’s definitely not an MTB route for me. I did more walking and pushing than biking today. The track from Three Rock to Fairy Castle, and then down to the junction with WW was not bikable for me. I got back on two wheels for parts of the track down to Tibradden, but then had to dismount again for the climb up Tibradden, until I got onto the gravel road in the Pine Forest. I did get to see the Zipit high ropes facility there, which was fairly impressive, and could be a nice break with my buddy.

It was a lovely day to get up the mountains, with stunning views and conditions, and I got home before the rain. But I definitely need another route for my buddy. I could go back to my original plan of coming down through Kilmashogue, and drop back down to the roundabout under the M50 before heading up Tibradden, cutting through the Pine Forest, and maybe doing a bit of zip lining.

Or I did notice the marked route towards the start of the DMW from Ballyedmonduff Road round the gallery tomb and up to Three Rock. Has anyone done this route down from Three Rock to Ballyedmonduff Road on MTB?
    And I’m still hitting a bit of a blank on renting or borrowing an MTB, so any other suggestions there would be more than welcome too.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Or I did notice the marked route towards the start of the DMW from Ballyedmonduff Road round the gallery tomb and up to Three Rock. Has anyone done this route down from Three Rock to Ballyedmonduff Road on MTB?

Yes, I've done it. Perfectly rideable (on a MTB ;))

Use the Metro 2 MTB route. At the end of that, turn right, continue until just before the end of that forest road, enter the woods on your left and head straight down to the other forest road that skirts the wedge tomb.

Advertisement