Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi 1 Bike 0

Options
  • 24-07-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Had a taxi bump me this morning and buckle my back wheel. Now, its running but there's some resistance with the brakes so just wanted to get some recommendations/prices if it can't be fixed. Its a specialized sirrus elite and the wheel is a Alexrim HRD double wall 622 X 17 6061-TS 29 - how much should a replacement cost me, it's not easy to find an online price and would there be much difference between bike shop and online? I also plan on getting new tyres so looking for a recommendation for a decent hard wearing set that don't puncture easily. Appreciate any responses folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Why didn't the taxi stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Why didn't the taxi stop?

he did stop but drove away after a few curses from me, in my anger I failed to get his number plate and didn't realise he'd done any damage until it was too late. Its didnt seem like much of a bump to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

sweetie wrote: »
    he did stop but drove away after a few curses from me, in my anger I failed to get his number plate and didn't realise he'd done any damage until it was too late. Its didnt seem like much of a bump to be fair.

So he left the scene of an accident. Were you injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

TonyStark wrote: »
    So he left the scene of an accident. Were you injured?

Doesn't sound like it.

Think he just got a buckled wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

no, it was a tiny bump but enough to damage the wheel. I'm over it anyway, no point in thinking would, coulda, shoulda! any advice on the wheels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

no, it was a tiny bump but enough to damage the wheel. I'm over it anyway, no point in thinking would, coulda, shoulda! any advice on the wheels?

There's a fair chance you don't need to replace the wheel, it might just need to be "trued". The wheel is kept straight and strong by carefully set tension in the spokes, which is easily adjusted by a bike mechanic (or yourself if you want a bit of a project).

Is there any sign of cracking at all in the rim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

In relation to tyres. I have continental gatorskin tyres on my bike and very happy with them. Supposedly they reduce the risk of getting a puncture. Got them online cheap enough. Done the ring of kerry and a lot more with them so far and no punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, no use crying over spilled milk. At the same time, if you are involved in any type of an accident, no matter how small it seems at the time, you should insist on exchanging details.

That's a cheap wheel. Probably not a huge amount of difference between buying the parts online and having it built up versus just buying a new wheel. If anything you should get the bike looked at just to make sure there is no damage elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Go to your LBS first, it may be saveable, depending on the buckle between 15 and 40euro to true it, they should also say pretty quick if it is worth saving. After that to the adverts section.

Advertisement