Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

206 hdi erratic speedo

Options
  • 24-07-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi there I have a 206 that is causing me a headache the Speedo ids not right on it bouncing around now I have replaced the dash and the speed sensor so now I am lost :/ its exactly like this video

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

anyone ? I'm really stuck on this replaced the two things you would think it would be so I'm at a loss now :(

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram for the speedometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Could be the little gears that work the needle worn down, it at the back of the dash, that would be my guess. Same kinda thing happened to my rev counter, now it won't move.

Just after thinking it could be the cars speed sensor gone/on way out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wriordan

if you replaced the speed and the dash i'd check that the wiring is okay.
    pull the 3 pin connector from the speed sensor and the test the resistance between pin 2 and earth it should near 0. then with the ignition switch to on test voltage between pin 1 and earth it should be between 11 - 14.

wriordan wrote: »
    if you replaced the speed and the dash i'd check that the wiring is okay.
    pull the 3 pin connector from the speed sensor and the test the resistance between pin 2 and earth it should near 0. then with the ignition switch to on test voltage between pin 1 and earth it should be between 11 - 14.

i will do that when it cools down a tad bit later on ill post the results here

if that reads out ok it could be a dud speed sensor that i got because i got it from a breakers yard its highly unlikely but it could happen the speed sensors go in alot of 206's

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Reading this at two in the morning really wasn't a good idea, saying to check what you've already done! Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If you are anywhere near Waterford I can put it on Diagbox for you and tell you exactly which end is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

@fergus1001,
    Does your 206 have abs..?

If it suits pm me you vin number i can check into it.
    Ron.

Hi Ron no I dont think there is as I have the speedometer cable disconnected to stop the car surging and when I go faster than 80 k the airbag light comes on but id imagine id have the abs light on as well

Worth nothing that Speedo does not move with cable off which is why I think I may have gotten a dud speed sensor

I'll post it here in a bit thank you for your help !

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Hi Ron no I dont think there is as I have the speedometer cable disconnected to stop the car surging and when I go faster than 80 k the airbag light comes on but id imagine id have the abs light on as well

Worth nothing that Speedo does not move with cable off which is why I think I may have gotten a dud speed sensor

I'll post it here in a bit thank you for your help !

Just checked and you dont have abs so your only speed sensor input is on the box itself...see diagrams.
    Note on No 4 Tachometer control pinion has two part numbers...one with 17 DTS and other with 18 DTS.

When you replaced the speed sensor did they leave the old Pinion in the box..?

Has there been a clutch fitted to your 206 in the last while..?

The only reason why i'm asking is that there maybe have been damage done on no 5 TACHOMETER CONTROL SCREW if a new clutch was fitted.

If you want to pick up a new sensor the correct part number for your speed sensor is 6160 70 and i see it works out around €67 from Peugeot.

If you search "6160 70 peugeot" on ebay you get this..;)
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=6160+70+peugeot&_sacat=0&_from=R40

As for airbag lights flashing up after 80 kph doesn't sound right..:confused:
    Have you checked for faults in the airbag ecu..?

Row wrote: »
    Just checked and you dont have abs so your only speed sensor input is on the box itself...see diagrams.
    Note on No 4 Tachometer control pinion has two part numbers...one with 17 DTS and other with 18 DTS.

When you replaced the speed sensor did they leave the old Pinion in the box..?

Has there been a clutch fitted to your 206 in the last while..?

The only reason why i'm asking is that there maybe have been damage done on no 5 TACHOMETER CONTROL SCREW if a new clutch was fitted.

If you want to pick up a new sensor the correct part number for your speed sensor is 6160 70 and i see it works out around €67 from Peugeot.

If you search "6160 70 peugeot" on ebay you get this..;)
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=6160+70+peugeot&_sacat=0&_from=R40

As for airbag lights flashing up after 80 kph doesn't sound right..:confused:
    Have you checked for faults in the airbag ecu..?

When I changed the speed sensor I took the pinion drive out of the old sensor and put it in the new one could that be it ?

There was no clutch fitted for as long as I own

As for the airbag light it only comes on with the speed sensor cable removed and when stopped at lights when I pull the hand brake it beeps as if I'm moving

Thank you again for checking this up for me id love to have access to that program ha

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    When I changed the speed sensor I took the pinion drive out of the old sensor and put it in the new one could that be it ?
    If the speed wasn't fluctuating beforehand then this could be your problem

As for the airbag light it only comes on with the speed sensor cable removed and when stopped at lights when I pull the hand brake it beeps as if I'm moving If you can check for faults (if there are any) in the airbag ecu then this should point you to the problem

Just replied above...:)

Just posting the solution to the problem

It was a half blown fuse that was causing a fluctuation in the current going to the sensor

Its fuse number 1 in the engine bay fuse compartment beside the battery would apply to all cars id say

She's going for nut Monday so I'll post how I get on

Thanks again for the help Row :)

Advertisement