Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The temple bar

Options
  • 23-07-2014 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

This went viral on Facebook today.
    "The temple bar" pub charged 19.90 for 2 pints and 2 pack if crisps

1 pint Heineken €7.45
    1 pint Carslberg €7.45
    2 crisps €5.00

It's ridiculous but they will keep charging this a tourists will keep paying it because it's temple bar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Plenty of Irish people that will pay it for a late drink too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

It's par for the course in most tourist traps , in fairness I've been even more ripped off in other countries, just contributes to the tacky ****e hole image of the temple bar area though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Harrogate last week (sleepy English town). Pint of local ale £4.75. Pint of Guinness £5.50 and that was early evening.

USA is worse - Cleveland, one pint of beer + one glass wine $19.40 + sales tax + tip - basically no change form $25.

In fact after being in 4 quite different US cities earlier this year, (all similar prices to Cleveland) I found Irish prices, even those in tourist areas, quite good value compared to the US and on a par with similar establishments in UK and Europe.

But at the other end of the scale, go away from the main areas and you'll get 2 pints + 2 crisps for €10-€12.

Also, the temple bar prices are their late prices - try the late prices in London, Temple Bar is cheap in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It is a bit saucy alright but after hours drinking was always an expensive business.....

It looks like you paid around a €2.50 premium per pint. But lots of places that serve outside normal pub hours have a cover charge to get in the door of €5 or more just for the privilege of drinking late.....and even with the cover charge they tend to charge more for drinks than pubs would normally.

If you had paid a fiver each as a cover charge, and the pints were only a fiver each, it would actually be more expensive for one round and even if you'd bought another round, it would still have worked out the same.

Personally, I'd rather have the extra costs associated with a late license rolled into the cost of the pint than paying a fixed price just to walk in the door.

€2.50 for a bag of crisps seems over the top alright - but presumably there is a degree of market acceptance in the pub for that price.

For sure, Temple Bar is an expensive playground but I have eaten and drank in entertainment districts in most of the European capital cities and in the US over the last few years and really Dublin isn't the worst at all. You'd easily pay that much at that hour of the night in London, Paris or Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Thats crazy, I can almost get two for the price of one of those in my local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Shock horror, tacky tourist part of town is expensive.

Try the bar on the corner of Damrak in Amsterdam, late prices are 8 euros for a crappy 500 ml glass of Heineken.

People pay it because they are already tipsy/drunk and can't be arsed walking somewhere else.

Thats crazy, I can almost get two for the price of one of those in my local

I would expect at least THREE if I were to drink in Roscommon (Up Galway!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What were the crisps? Were they fancy ones or King / Tayto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Half price

1907400_10203624526728004_6723152071217344890_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

delahuntv wrote: »
    Harrogate last week (sleepy English town). Pint of local ale £4.75. Pint of Guinness £5.50 and that was early evening.

Never paid that in all my time in England, not even in London! What sort of a pub was it???

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

delahuntv wrote: »
    I would expect at least THREE if I were to drink in Roscommon (Up Galway!) :)

Yes but then we'd have to speak to the locals, cost you more then money.

Lucena wrote: »
    Never paid that in all my time in England, not even in London! What sort of a pub was it???

It was in the "gastro" pub about 4 doors from Betty Tea rooms on the hill leading down to the convention centre.

Slug and lettuce chain is also expensive considering no table service and zero atmosphere.

Locally managed rural pubs have great value an decent beers in UK - as do locally managed rural pubs here and almost anywhere else.

City centres = high rent and rates + high security costs + at least here, high licencing fees fro after 11pm and that equates to high prices here, harrogate, london, new york, paris, berlin etc etc etc

Advertisement