Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio jack issue

Options
  • 23-07-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

02kwMXK.jpg

The headphone jack on my case is a little damaged I think (see fig.1) and I have no idea how to fix it. It works, but will often cut to one side of my headphones if I move the wire a little which happens often from natural movement in my chair.

I've plugged my keyboard's audio cables directly into my motherboard (fig.2) so now I plug my headphones into the keyboard (fig.3) and although the sound is even and clear... it's just too quiet for general use.

I don't know much about audio tech or what these ports really are but I am losing volume (and possibly quality?) from the round-about way I'm getting my audio. I tried plugging the headphones directly into the motherboard without the keyboard middle-man but it's the same problem... clear, even audio that's too quiet.

Am I screwed? Do I need to fix the front headphone jack or is there a way to force the volume up? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Did you try adjusting the volume levels for your playback device (guessing your motherboards onboard sound)?

Control panel > Sound > Playback; select the device you use, then go to properties window and have a poke about with playback levels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^

Yes I have. I've maxed out everything I know how to by right clicking on the volume control icon on the W7 taskbar and playing around with volume mixer, playback devices and volume control options. I feel like this might not be solvable at a software level but is perhaps a restriction from either the ports or cables at a hardware level.

Edit: Ok I found a solution. I had to retask the green "line out" connector on my motherboard to "headphone" via my sound card's driver. In this case, Realtek HD audio manager. By doing this it seems to have stopped treating my headphones as it would a speaker which usually have their own volume control. At least that's what I think it has done. Either way, I'm now plugging my headphones into my keyboard which is connected to fig.2 and is my usual volume level. All is well. Only side effect is now in-application volume control on foobar doesn't work, I have to adjust volume via the windows volume mixer.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement