Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Offense

Options
  • 23-07-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was disqualified in court for drink driving in Ireland for 2 years. I took the option in court to stay driving for a furthermore 6 months.
    I also received a fine in the post (which I paid) but never received any correspondence saying I was banned for 2 years bar word of mouth in court.

The 6 months have now long past and the court have not asked for my license. I haven't drove since they past and the other day out of curiosity I rang the RSA to see if there was any penalty points or disqualifications on my license to which they answered there wasn't.

Does this mean that there was some mistake made with the court? and if so considering my license is clean can I apply for insurance and go back driving?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

How will you answer the question about court convictions on your Proposal Form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You never surrendered your license to the court for endorsement so it won't have been processed by them. This is what most people do on the day in the event of a conviction. The application of the ban was delayed by this. You've still been convicted. The issue is that they haven't reminded you that you're required to surrender your license after the six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Tony923 wrote: »
    I was disqualified in court for drink driving in Ireland for 2 years. I took the option in court to stay driving for a furthermore 6 months.
    I also received a fine in the post (which I paid) but never received any correspondence saying I was banned for 2 years bar word of mouth in court.

The 6 months have now long past and the court have not asked for my license. I haven't drove since they past and the other day out of curiosity I rang the RSA to see if there was any penalty points or disqualifications on my license to which they answered there wasn't.

Does this mean that there was some mistake made with the court? and if so considering my license is clean can I apply for insurance and go back driving?

You really think a court order is trumped by a phone call to RSA. Interesting would like to see you explain that one in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Tony923 wrote: »

Get a copy of the order. Its 15 euro and you need to apply in the stamp office in the Four Courts Complex. You can then ask the court office for a copy when you produce the stamped card.

If you were convicted and fail to disclose that in a future proposal then that would be a criminal matter and could render and most likely would render you uninsured. If you have no licence then you cannot take out insurance. Could be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

It's also an offence for you not to surrender your licence for endorsement.

If you try to get your licence back early (assuming it's 2yrs and a day you have been disqualified for), the first objection from the state will include the fact you didn't surrender your licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Hooch wrote: »
    It's also an offence for you not to surrender your licence for endorsement.

If you try to get your licence back early (assuming it's 2yrs and a day you have been disqualified for), the first objection from the state will include the fact you didn't surrender your licence.

The 2 years and a day rule does not work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

A friend of my brother got a 2 year ban. He didn't surrender his license on the day, but the ban was from that day. That was just over 2 years ago. Does that mean that his ban still hasn't started?

I don't know the full details, only that he drove with alcohol and got caught and got banned without surrendering his license on the day.

Advertisement